Violin/violin

Question
I have a broken a copy of Nicholas semantic that I know is over 100 +yrs. It has all string and parts even the bow and original case it came from Germany it has been in the family it was my grandfather's and he brought it over from Germany when he came here..the finish is dull and worn but it basically good shape I was wondering if it is worth anything or should I sell it for what I can get three is no none who wants it thank you Janet sheraw

Answer
Hi Janet

I am a bit confused about your question. I'm not sure why you used the word 'semantic' after the name Nicholas. There is no maker by the name Semantic if that is what you meant. As far as just the name Nicholas, there was an Eduard Nicholas from around 1800 but he was English.  There were a number of makers with the last name of Nicolas, but none were German. So the first thing that needs to happen is that we need to determine which maker you are actually referring to and then we can go from there. There is only one well known Nicolas, his first name is Francois although he did not use his first name on the labels. So if you can take pictures of the instrument and also of the label, that would be good, Close ups of the top, back, front and side of the scroll and of the label would be useful, often the help of a flashlight will be needed to photograph the label.  As YA only allows two pictures, you can send them to me directly at davidlashof@yahoo.com The pictures hopefully will also show the condition for me to make an appropriate response.  

Violin

David Lashof