Violin/Laminated Violas

Hi Mr. James S. Fisher,

Thanks for helping me out with my previous questions a long while back. I appreciate it.

But I have another question. Could you please tell me what laminated means when string instruments are laminated? Also how does it affect the sound?

Thanks, Mr. Fisher. I appreciate it. Sincerely,

A laminated instrument is made from plywood, with a decorative wood-colored layer glued to the outside.  It's much cheaper to build than actually carving an instrument out of wood.  This is typically seen with student cellos.  Obviously, plywood isn't going to resonate with the same quality of sound as solid wood.  Laminated instruments tend to sound "nasal" and "closed-off", compared with solid wood instruments.

James S. Fisher

Please Note: For an accurate appraisal of your instrument's value or history, I must advise you to take it to a local luthier or string shop for an evaluation. It's really not possible to do this with any accuracy via email.

However, I am happy to answer other questions about violins, bows, violin playing, and violin/bow repair. I can also talk with you about what bows, rosin, strings, cases, shoulder rests, etc. might work best for you and your particular instrument. (There are some great new products on the market.) I've taught violin and fiddle playing for the past 18 years and will answer questions about playing and technique.

I've been studying the violin for over thirty years. I started teaching in 1996. In addition to my training at Lebanon Valley College and at the Violin Institute, I handle violins, bows, and customer questions of all sorts on a daily basis in my shop - J.S. Fisher Violins,

I hold a Bachelor of Music degree from Lebanon Valley College, as well as certificates in violin repair, violin maintenance, and bow rehairing from the Violin Institute at the University of New Hampshire.