Violin/How to choose a violin bridge

Question
I have been want to learn to play the violin for a couple of years, but couldn't afford the prices. I recently found a used on for $20 with a case, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. The one I bought has a label that says it's a Lark made in Shanghai, China. From what I have been able to find, this is not a real quality brand. Never-the-less, I would like to make it playable just for my own use. I measured it from end to end and came up with about 22 1/2 inches. Again, according to what I have found on the 'net, this is probably a 22 5/8", 7/8 size violin. It needs a bridge. I can't seem to find a source of bridges that fit a 7/8 violin. Any suggestions?  Also, I'd like to spend as little money as possible to fix this up, but I also want parts that are going to perform adequately without breaking. I have found bridges for other size violins from as little as $0.39 to over $20. Do you know what the big difference might be in these bridges. What makes on bridge superior to (and more expensive than) another? If you need any additional information about the violin, please let me know. Thanks for you help.

Answer
Hi Rick

It is common to use a 4/4 bridge on a 7/8 violin, but you can't just buy one and stick it on the instrument.  Bridges come as rough blanks and need to be fit to the violin to work. The feet are too thick and not shaped to the instruments top as every instruments curve is different. Putting on one that doesn't fit the tops surface can cause the bridge to break or even cause a crack in the instrument.  Also because all instruments vary, the neck will not always be at the same angle both up and down and also it's tilt. So the bridges top curve must be adjusted to be correct for the specific instrument and the proper height above the fingerboard. The E is lower than the G side.  The bridge also comes about 20-30% thicker than appropriate when finished. Here is a web site that talks a little more about bridge fitting, although still very simplified - http://fiddlerman.com/2011/11/install-a-new-bridge-on-a-violin-by-kevin-m-healy/

The different prices you see are for different qualities of wood and how well the blank is cut. The quality that most violin shops use are in the $5-25 range. Cheap bridges are soft and tend to warp easily. The most expensive bridges are the hardest and have grain that allows for more sound transmission. Then there is all the labor which can easily take an hour by someone experienced.  This is why, to get a bridge properly cut and fit at a violin shop, it will cost from $40-100 or so.

So if your a little handy, it may be fun to give it a try since you have an inexpensive violin.  

Violin

David Lashof