Violin/K Hofner Strad-copy Violin Questions

Question
Label Scroll F-hole
Label Scroll F-hole  

front and back
front and back  
Hello,
I have a Karl Hofner Stradivarius-copy that I recently purchased with the hopes of learning to play the violin. I would like to know its age, approximate value, and any other interesting information you may know of concerning this violin and its maker. Also, I would like to know your recommendations regarding the cleaning and polishing of this violin. To date, all I have done to this violin is dusted it, put on new strings and a chin rest, and adjusted the bridge (by paring the wood to lower the G string height at the end of the fingerboard down to 4.75mm and the E string to 3.75mm.) (Please excuse the fretted fingerboard applique abomination. This was my mandolin-playing-wife's idea! It is made of a flexible plastic that adheres to itself without adhesives and causes no damage to the neck.)

Kindest Regards,
Bob

Answer
Hi Bob

Your instrument is one of the factory Hofner instruments.  I can't tell exactly what model it is but it looks to be of the quality to fit into the $300-500 price range. It is certainly not made by Karl Hofner himself but was made between 1921 and 1949.  Based on it's appearance, I would put it in the 1940's. (Czechoslovakia was created in 1921 and Hofner moved to West Germany in 1949) Wikipedia has a good amount of information on the company - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B6fner  

Hofner is a company that has also provided hundreds of thousands of instruments "in the white", as in unvarnished, to supply many shops with instruments that were then varnished and labeled as instruments from that shop.  If you look up the name Rudolf Doetsch, that is one such label that used the Hofner instruments up until around 10 years ago.

As far as cleaning goes, see my web site at http://violininformation.webs.com/instrumentcare.htm#816214358

As soon as you can, wean yourself from the "frets".  When held properly, you should not be able to see your fingers, so the "frets" can actually hold you back from learning and advancing properly. Learn to use your ears to hear the pitches and adjust accordingly.  There is no point to having your fingers learn muscle memory if they are in the wrong place.

Your bridge height seems ok although it might be able to be slightly lower if using steel strings.  If those are Helicore strings, which they look like, it could go down by another 1/2mm.

Good luck

Violin

David Lashof