Violin/violin maker in milan italy

Dave Lashof - Violin All-Expert wrote at 2015-02-12 22:14:18
I have seen this name listed in a few reference materials but according to Claire Givens, a musical instrument appraiser for Antiques Roadshow, this is a trade name used by a German firm. Quote below:

APPRAISER: "...it is an interesting violin. It has a label on the inside, and it says "Salvatore Rossani, Milano 1910." So one thinks immediately that it was made in Italy, but it's not. So this is an instrument that was made in Germany, and there was a time when the Germans felt like they would have more of an advantage in the marketplace if their names didn't sound German, and so they would create these Italian names to write on their labels. I'm seeing a violin that's made out of absolute first-class quality wood and varnish, and it's very typical of instruments that were made in the big violin-making center of Markneukirchen, Germany. We will never know exactly who made it, but there were some great makers that worked there at that time.

As mentioned before, you really need to have it seen in person at a violin shop or a musical instrument auction house.  

Violin

Bill Alpert