Violin/Hans Schuster violin

Greetings, James. I have a violin I bought in the 1980s that I am looking for more information on. The inside label designates it a Hans Schuster, Mittenwalde, Germany, No. 115 (is this an ID no for the actual artisan, or a batch number perhaps?), Date: 1974.

Anything you happen to know about what kind of school produced such a violin is helpful to me. I have seen a couple online selling for $1000-2000, but very little other info on this very nice instrument.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your question.  I believe what you have is a German-made factory instrument, appropriate for an advancing student.  The No. 115 is, I believe, a model number for this particular line of violins.  The Hans Schuster label has a fair reputation, and if your instrument is in good condition, it may fetch $1000.00 to $1500.00 at auction.  Of course, I must always point out that it's really not possible to give an accurate appraisal by email, and you should take your violin in person to a reputable violin shop in your area for a proper valuation.  But, my guess is that you have a very nice, student level instrument.

Best of luck with it!

Jim Fisher

James S. Fisher

Please Note: For an accurate appraisal of your instrument's value or history, I must advise you to take it to a local luthier or string shop for an evaluation. It's really not possible to do this with any accuracy via email.

However, I am happy to answer other questions about violins, bows, violin playing, and violin/bow repair. I can also talk with you about what bows, rosin, strings, cases, shoulder rests, etc. might work best for you and your particular instrument. (There are some great new products on the market.) I've taught violin and fiddle playing for the past 18 years and will answer questions about playing and technique.

I've been studying the violin for over thirty years. I started teaching in 1996. In addition to my training at Lebanon Valley College and at the Violin Institute, I handle violins, bows, and customer questions of all sorts on a daily basis in my shop - J.S. Fisher Violins,

I hold a Bachelor of Music degree from Lebanon Valley College, as well as certificates in violin repair, violin maintenance, and bow rehairing from the Violin Institute at the University of New Hampshire.