Violin/Stainer Violin

Hi attached pics are of my wifes violin and am trying to find any onfo on it thanks

Hi Warwick,

Thanks for your question.  Unfortunately, there's not much I can tell you from the photos.  It does not appear to be an instrument of any great value.  The wood is inexpensive, and not well flamed.  The grain is uneven and not very tight.  And, the workmanship appears to be that of a factory instrument.  But, it may be worth getting a proper appraisal.  If there is not too much damage, and if the instrument happens to be of decent quality (as factory instruments go), it may serve as a good student level violin.  New strings and a proper setup will run you a few hundred dollars.  It may not be worth that much.  Or, it may be worth as much as a thousand, if you're very lucky.

Best of luck with it!

Jim Fisher  

James S. Fisher

Please Note: For an accurate appraisal of your instrument's value or history, I must advise you to take it to a local luthier or string shop for an evaluation. It's really not possible to do this with any accuracy via email.

However, I am happy to answer other questions about violins, bows, violin playing, and violin/bow repair. I can also talk with you about what bows, rosin, strings, cases, shoulder rests, etc. might work best for you and your particular instrument. (There are some great new products on the market.) I've taught violin and fiddle playing for the past 18 years and will answer questions about playing and technique.

I've been studying the violin for over thirty years. I started teaching in 1996. In addition to my training at Lebanon Valley College and at the Violin Institute, I handle violins, bows, and customer questions of all sorts on a daily basis in my shop - J.S. Fisher Violins,

I hold a Bachelor of Music degree from Lebanon Valley College, as well as certificates in violin repair, violin maintenance, and bow rehairing from the Violin Institute at the University of New Hampshire.