My son's wife was just given, by her 90 year old grandmother, a very old violin, that has the typical Stradivarius label on the inside.
It reads:
Antonius Stradivarius
Faciebat Anno, 1754.

There does not appear to be an origin written on the last line of the label, as I have seen pictures of.
The violin has been in storage for many decades in my daughter-in-law's, grandmother's basement. It was told to her that the violin was given to her grandmother by HER grandmother. That possibly puts the age of family origin to around 150 years ago, possibly??
My question is, if in fact the violin is that old, were there copies made of Strads at that time?
I should add that violin is complete with bow and case, and the fiddle itself looks to be in fine condition.
What do think we have here?

sorry about the delay. I actually never received the original.
However let's address your question.
They were beginning to do Strad copies during his lifetime so yes,this might just possibly be all the way back from the 17th century. However, he is also the single most copied maker in history. Unfortunately, a violin with a Strad label as opposed to a personal label usually indicates a mass production which is probably not a good sign.
Could you send me photos of both front and back and also the scroll? Then we can try to narrow down the possibilities.

Steve Levine

I can answer almost any question regarding the classical violin.Both playing and history. Also repertoire.

20 years a professional classical violinist in every London orchestra...18 years freelance as a session player.movies tv etc lot of arranging too

Many prizes and awards from the RAM where I studied, both for violin playing and chamber music

Students at the RCM plus many chamber music students at summer schools around the world