Violin/Stradivarius

Question
Stradivarius 1737
Stradivarius 1737  
Stradivarius 1737
Stradivarius 1737  
QUESTION: Hi David. I came across your posts for a few others inquiring if their stradivarius' were genuine and am here for the same reason. First a little background, the Stradivarius I have was my Italian Grandfather's who was a professional orchestra musician, who played for a bit in the Metropolitan Opera as well as Carnegie Hall. His main instrument was the Cello, however he also played the violin, mandolin, Ukulele, Banjo and Guitar. He came over from Italy around 1911 to Ellis Island bringing his instruments with him.  Having said that, The label inside this Stradivarius reads:  

Antonius Stradivarius Cremonenfis
Faciebat Anno 1737 (the circle with the cross and his initials as well)
Di Anni 93

I have several clear photos and will attach the most significant ones for you to have a look-see. Since I was limited to only two pics, I can tell you that the violin is and oil varnish as the neck is not finished with varnish nor is there a line where tape might've been from a mass produced violin. I would be more than happy to share more photos with you should you wish to see them, including the label inside.  

Thanks so much, really appreciate the assistance.

ANSWER: Hi MaryAnn

The violin you have is certainly nice but I am also certain it is not a Stradivari, nor Italian. It appears to have been made in the late 1800's to early 1900's probably in Germany but also possibly in France.

If you could send me close up shots of the front and side of the scroll as well as the label, that would be great. Try to make them as high resolution as possible as on the top and back photos, when I zoom in, they get fairly blurry.

Not that it would be proof that it is real, but if the 737 and the Di Anni 93 on the label are not hand written, it is certainly only a copy.

If you wish, you may send the photos to me directly to davidlashof@yahoo.com

QUESTION: Thank you David. I will send those additional photos to your direct email now. Both, btw, the 737 and Di Anni 93 are hand written. But I will send the pics along to you to see, as well as some additional photos I took that might help ascertain whether I own a replica or an original. Thanks so much. Check your email. :)

Answer
Hi again MaryAnn
I have done my due diligence with the additional photos by comparing them to other strads from the last few years of his life's work. As I suspected, this is a copy, it simply does not have the workmanship, varnish and wood selection that a real Strad has.  In addition, the label is a direct copy, down to the exact placing of the hand written part, from one that is printed in a catalog and can be seen on line - http://www.cello.org/heaven/hill/pix/images/label6.jpg  The original however had the Di Anni 93 printed on a separate label, yours is clearly all on one, but even the line from the secondary label has transferred.  The copy tried to hide this on the right side, by tearing off a section. The label is also not printed on "laid" paper, which would have been the case in 1737. As far as value goes, that will be difficult without a close examination in person. I will give you a range that I suspect it will fall into - $3000-6000. But someone will need to look at it more closely than I can.

As far as the bow goes, it could very well be real, since often times the bow makers were not known well enough to have earned a great deal for their work and as such, the bows were often just included with a violin.  Of course, your Grandfather could have purchased the bow separately. There are a few different bows stamped Leon Pique. Some are commercial German bows with a 'normal' size brand on the stick, usually right side up. There are other bows stamped Leon Pique which were made by Otto Hoyer c. 1920-30, with a smaller stamp on the stick. As far as value on the bow goes if it is a good one, and pictures won't help here as I am not well versed in the subtleties of the characteristics of Pique bow, they tend to auction in the $1000-1500 range and retail over $2000.  

Violin

David Lashof