Violin/violin information

Question
This was my father's violin. He was born in 1908 so may have gotten it in 1918 or later. The label says "Imperial" in block letters. It has a crack on the front which is sealed. An accomplished violinist friend described it as having a "big sound." I am advised that having it played and/or sitting near the stereo over some time can benefit it's tone and playability by the musical vibrations. Is there anything to that? And, what can you tell me about the violin? Thank you in advance for any information you might share.
John

Answer
Hi John

There were two origins of instruments with the Imperial brand/name. One was Japanese and the other German.  

The Japanese ones typically were labeled Imperial and often also said "Trade Mark" on the inside of the instrument. There were about 12 different models that sold in the 19-teens from $6.50-$30.00. The Japanese ones were also usually slightly small, a 4/4 violin would be around 13 3/4" to 13 7/8" in body length. During WWI, we weren't importing instruments from Germany, so that is primarily when the Japanese Imperial violin arrived - 1914-1918.

The German ones had the name Imperial carved/engraved on the back of the scroll and were sold by many different firms and also a number of different quality levels.   

Both are from the early 1900's and many can be very nice. Values in fine condition can be as much as $2000. But based on the information provided, yours is probably Japanese and won't fetch that much, you would need it to be examined in person to determine the value since there were so many different quality levels.  

An instrument played or exposed to vibrations does help it, but just a little playing after sitting for many years also helps a lot, it is not necessary to constantly have it exposed.  

Violin

David Lashof