Violin/Vuillaume aParis

I am interested in finding out about a violin I have purchased thinking it was something else.  The violin has a stamp on the back that says Vuillaume aParis as in the attached picture.  The seller says it is made in Austria.  
Do you know anything about this piece?  is it from Austria?  when it may have been made and a value if possible?

Thank you for your time,

ANSWER: Hi Audrey

These instruments were made around 1900 in Czechoslovakia or Germany and are what we call "trade violins".  They were made in factory settings and were produced in large numbers. In an 1895 C. G. Conn of New York catalog, they sold for $10.00 - $11.50 depending on the model.  This was about average for trade instruments of the time. Some sold for as little as $2.00 and others of very high quality sold for over $25.00. Ones like your today retail at a violin shop in the $1000-1500 range. To get a closer idea of actual value of your specific violin, an in person evaluation will need to be done to access the specific quality and condition.

These were not made in Austria, Vuillaume worked in Paris and only there.

I also meant to list Mirecourt France as one of the main factory locations and that is probably where your violin was made.

QUESTION: Did they have 2 different stamps?  The ones I've seen online are on 3 lines with an accent on the a where as this one has only e lines with no accent on the a and the a is not a separate word as it should be...

Nittengale stamp
Nittengale stamp  

a Paris stamp
a Paris stamp  
There were a number of different firms that made these, some also had a triangular stamp on the button that said "trade mark". See attached pics.  Vuillaume never branded any of his instruments on the outside of the violin.  This type of marking was done to denote a model and was used in many forms.  Different firms stamped Conservatory, Artist, Stainer, Hopf, Concert and many, many more.

David Lashof

I can answer questions on violin, viola, cello and bass making, repair and maintenance as well as supply general violin value ranges and information on instrument makers’ assuming the instrument's as labeled. I don't give values for modern makers as many of these modern makers are yet unknown to me. I can only give you feedback based on what information you give me, and no authority on the instrument can know every maker's work that ever lived. I have access to many books on makers and auction prices on over 25,000 makers, as well as having 36 years of experience with selling and appraising violins. Without having the instrument in hand, any estimate over the internet is just a guess as the label inside an instrument is more often wrong than right, so just having that information is not very useful. Pictures can sometimes be helpful but only so much, as the "feel" of the instrument along with small clues in workmanship and varnish cannot be seen in pictures. Any pictures should be high quality close-ups of the top and back. Additional photos of the front and treble side of the neck are also useful. It is always best to have an instrument seen in person at a violin shop that does appraisals. I can also provide advice on bows, rosin, strings and other string instrument accessories. As I am now retired, I have no bias towards selling anything; I only wish to share my knowledge and experience by providing information for those that may be getting confused by misinformation, misdirection or conflicting statements. (While I have seen many thousands of instruments and have performed numerous appraisals; if I have not evaluated an instrument in person, any information I set forth in an opinion is just that, an opinion based solely on what you have provided. Thusly, no financial decision should be based on that opinion, but rather, further investigation should be performed by having the instrument examined in person.)

I am a retired violin maker and repairman with 35 years experience having worked in Chicago and Maryland at 5 different violin shops and music stores including the first violin repairman at William Harris Lee in Chicago, the head repairman at Weavers Violins in Maryland, and in my own shop of 25 years. I have made 160 instruments and have restored countless professional level and student grade instruments. I am an accomplished violinist having performed with semi-professional as well as amateur groups although I haven't played for years and mostly stay away from questions about playing. I have taught violin making and restoration to about 20 students; three of which have gone on professionally and now have their own shops. I know violins from playing, selling, repairing, making and teaching.

Violin Society of America (VSA). American String Teachers Association (ASTA)

I graduated from the prestigious 4 year Chicago School of Violin Making in 1981 under Master Violin Maker Tschu Ho Lee. I also studied with violin maker Willis M. Gault in Washington DC from 1973-75, who was the former owner of the oldest known example of an instrument from the modern violin family, an Andreas Amati Viola.

2008 Chester Petranek Award for service to the music community. ASTA award for service. Top All Expert in Violin for 2014 and 2015.

I have worked with many professional musicians from DC area Symphonies as well as players from all over the US. Here are just a few, Leonard Slatkin - Former conductor of the National Symphony Orchestra. Doris Gazda - Nationally renowned string specialist and composer. Bernard Greenhouse, Tanya Anisimova - Internationally renowned Solo Cellists. Jody Gatwood, Mark Pfannschmidt, Lori Barnet, Doug Dubé, Judy Silverman - National Philharmonic Orchestra. Robert Blatt, David Hardy, Glen Garlick - National Symphony Orchestra. Eddie Stubbs, Brendan Mulvahill, Nate Leath - Professional Fiddle Players. David Basche, Pat Braunlich, John Knudson, Romano Solano, Ed Ferris, Fred Lieder - freelance musicians.