Violin/Is it the price

Question
I am looking to this piano for a middle school player so it can be played until HS.

Brilliant Hand Crafted by Kelin Zhang - 4/4 Full Size Violin - Kelin Violins Plano TX - KV588 2005

Please help.

Answer
Hi

My Zhang is a professional violin maker whose instruments, that are actually made by him, probably sell in excess of $7500 and since he is an award wining maker, I expect they sell for well over $10,000. Although I have never seen one, I know where he received his training and am sure they are quality professional grade instruments.  However, I am sure he sells other instruments as well through his shop as he also rents instruments. I have seen a Craig's list ad for this model violin and I would bet my reputation that Mr. Zhang did not make this instrument.  It is either a Chinese made violin or made somewhere else and varnished by Mr. Zhang. If this is the ad that you are looking at, the violin probably is worth the $990 being asked. The $3000 "new" value is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Because I am at a huge disadvantage because I can't see the instrument in hand, I can't be absolutely sure, but I have been in this business a long time and I know of no violin makers with his training that would sell or value an instrument of their own work for under $3000. Professional luthiers also don't make "models" with model numbers, that is a commercially made product distinction. If it was made strictly by him, he would simply sign his name to it with a serial number and that number would not be a 10,000+ number, a violin maker simply can't make that many violins in their lifetime, maybe 2000 violins if they do nothing but make violins for 75 years.

If it is the one I saw on line, the violin may need some repairs. It appears to have some open edges down near the bottom and these need to be service before it is played as not doing so could cause some serious structural damage. As far as it being suitable for a few years, if it is repaired and is otherwise in good shape and it sounds the way the student and teacher would like, I am sure it will last.  I certainly wouldn't purchase it without being able to play it and have it approved by the teacher.  As no two violins of the same brand/model, or even by the same individual maker, will sound the same, just knowing that information is not really of any use.  Any violin needs to be played and tried out before purchasing and as the student improves, it is even more important that they partake in the process.

I would suggest that you go to a violin shop where you can look at and play instruments and compare several side by side. When you get an instrument from a store you also get an instrument that is ready to go, a warranty, a trade in ability and a place to go for adjustments and repairs. Violin shops also allow instruments to go out on approval for a week so that it can be tried at home and shown to the teacher before a decision is made.  

Violin

David Lashof