Violin/Paesold PAE 803A violin - full size - 4/4

Question
QUESTION: Could you please provide evaluate this violin about the sound and price?  I need it for a child to play until finish High School?  

If I bring the violin to the shop for evaluation, what is the charge generally?

Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi

Without seeing and playing the exact instrument it really is not possible to comment on sound since no two violins of the same brand/model will sound the same. As far as the price goes, you did not mention if it is a new violin or a used violin and where you will be purchasing it from.

A used Paesold 803A will probably be around $1000-1200 from a violin shop, new around $1500-1800 (including a case and bow). From a private seller it should be less since you get no warranty, no trade in guarantee, no choice of others in the same price range, no setup adjustments to get it the way you want. At the violin shop, they typically also sell all violins, used or new with a new case and bow and fully restored if used. Privately you may need to do a few hundred in repair to get it to the same condition; bridge, adjust pegs, new strings, rehair bow, cosmetic repairs.....

As far as an appraisal at a shop, the price will vary widely from one region to another. Oral appraisals/evaluations are more often than not free. A written appraisal will cost anywhere from around $35-100 on this grade of an instrument. Repair cost evaluations will almost always be free. No shop should give an evaluation on sound, and it may be suspect if they do since they really would want to sell you an instrument.  This is why it is always best to have a competent player assist you with any violin purchase and of course you should also like the sound of your own instrument.

QUESTION: Thanks Mr. David.  Your answer has given me the idea where to start off.  However, do you mind to take a look at this?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/4959705323.html

If the information is considered to be private, then do so in your reply.

Thanks again,

Answer
Hi again
You didn't ask a question, but it certainly falls within my estimate of a new instrument. Obviously without it in my hands I can't say if it truly is new or anything about the sound.  This can only be done in person.  I never recommend buying a violin without being able to try it out. As I mentioned in my prior response, when not buying from a shop, a discount should be expected because of the reasons I already pointed out.  Only you can determine if the instrument is worth it to you at the price asked and the only way to know how it sounds is to actually compare it to others in a similar price range.

Violin

David Lashof