Violin/Knilling Bucharest

Question
violin
violin  
QUESTION: just wanting any info on this violin I've had for several years. Knilling Bucharest, Made in Romania No 13136.
I've never learned to play it so i'm thinking about selling it. I know it's not worth a whole lot but just want to get close if possible.
Any info would be appreciated.

ANSWER: Hi Karen
Typically these are worth in the $200-300 range. Yours needs some work, at minimum the bow needs new hair and I would also recommend new strings.

To help me improve on my response, could you please let me know how I was unclear.

QUESTION: I appreciate the quick response to my question. The statement re: "yours needs some work", sounds like there could be more problems with this piece that were noticeable but not noted other than the bow and strings. Would also like to know if there's a way to tell approximately how old this piece is.
Just fyi - I would recommend this site to others. Quick response time and volunteer's concern on how to improve was greatly appreciated!

Answer
It could need more that can't be seen. The bridge for instance might need replacing. Cosmetically it has some issues, but not out of normal from what can be seen. Pictures are never the appropriate way to access value or condition. As always, as stated in my bio, the best way is to have it evaluated in person. Your violin is most likely made after 1965, but again, that is really not possible to determine for sure from a picture alone.

Violin

David Lashof