Violin/Violin appraisal

David Lashof - also an All-Expert wrote at 2015-09-11 21:38:25
Both the Eleve and Artiste were models of the Sarasate line by the JTL (Jerome Thibouville Lamy) firm from Mirecourt France and listed in their catalog from 1926.  JTL stamped the buttons with Sarasate Eleve and there are several of them that you can find on the web, just type Sarasate Eleve Stamped JTL, and then search for images. They were originally sold for $10.  Since different workers made them in his factory, the value can vary based on workmanship, wood selection, condition, and sound. I would have it looked at in person at a violin shop. It sounds to me like the person that inserted the label got mixed up and put the Artiste and not the Eleve model or it could have been the other way around. The Artiste model was made with nicer materials and better workmanship. You might find by looking through the end pin hole that the upper block is stamped with the letters JTL.  Having them should cinch the origins, not having them won't say for sure one way ot the other.  

Violin

James S. Fisher