Violin/Mittenwald violin worth

Question
I just purchased a used 3/4 violin.  The label is handwritten.  It appears to say " Jhn (not sure about this first word; thinking its short for Johann) Georg Schlosser  Violinmaker Mittenwald Made in Germany."   I've looked everywhere and cannot find a Schlosser violinmaker.  It does not have a date on it.  I read where if it says in English "Made in Germany," it was probably made in the early 20th century.  Do you have any idea?

Answer
Hi Lisa

The "Made in Germany" part of the label is going to date this as being made after 1921 and without seeing it, it could be much newer than that. I can't say for sure if it was actually made it Mittenwald or just labeled that way, the only way to know is to examine it closely. However, Mittenwald instruments are generally finer quality hand made instruments by very small shops, not the larger firms that made trade instruments like this one I would guess. In either case the instrument has a fictitious label as the real Johann Georg Schlosser made instruments in the middle of the 1700's and worked in Klingenthal, nearly 300 miles from Mittenwald.  As for value, that would also need to be assessed by an in person evaluation as Condition, Wood selection, Workmanship and Sound all have to be evaluated.

Violin

David Lashof