Violin/violin

Question
I have a violin purchased in 1954. It was not new then. In side it is labeled Hopf. It also has the numbers A296 and 4289 written inside.
the body length 13 7/8 in
   upper bout   6 1/2 in
   center bout  4 1/2 in
   lower bout   7 7/8 in
   varnish     deep golden brown
   one-piece back of flamed maple

excellent condition.
I would like to sell it. Could you give me a ball park price.
Thank you for your time. Do you know anyplace to sell it in southern California.

Answer
Hi Maria

Unfortunately this is not enough information to provide but a wide range of value. This description could be a copy or a real one, pictures would help but may not be conclusive, you can send as many as you like to me directly at davidlashof@yahoo.com  There are 42 different confirmed members of the Hopf violin making dynasty going back to the 1600's and many thousands of copies made in factories from the mid 1850's to early 1900's, many of which could fall under that description. Pictures might help to narrow it down, but in the end, an in person evaluation will need to be made to get a close estimate of value and authenticity. The copies can run anywhere from next to nothing to around $2000.  Real ones aren't huge in price, the worst can be like the copies and have little to no value while the best, made by David Hopf, can run upwards of around $5000.

The numbers that you have listed don't sound like anything a maker would use during the Hopf family reign.  They are more likely from when it was listed for sale, some kind of catalog or stock number. Based on the color of the varnish, it is probably not one of the real cheap ones as they were very dark red brown to almost black. One thing that will need to be determined is how the neck is installed into the instrument.  If it is the traditional way, that is a good thing.  If not, the cost to fix it could easily out way the value.

The best advice I can give you is to have it seen in person at a violin shop or musical instrument auction house. I would search Google for Southern California Violin Shops, there are certainly a number of them in the LA area, probably the best is Weisshaar.  

Violin

David Lashof