Violin/Violin appraisal

Hi! I have a violin that I used to play, it was given to me about 20 years ago, and unfortunately, I stopped playing it. I started to investigate about it, and I noticed that at the back of the violin, the "brand/name" Sarasate - Eléve is engraved, in the inside there's a label that says Sarasate - Artiste, which I think is incorrect.
The tuning pegs, the fingerboard and the tailpiece are made of Ebony.
And I would like to see if you can provide me with more information about it, I consulted an auction house in England, and they believe that the violin was made in Germany in between 1880 - 1900, and it's value is around £900.
I attached a picture of my violin. Thanks

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your question.  Mirecourt, in France, makes an instrument under the Sarsate label.  But, so have a number of other manufacturers, over the years.  I would tend to agree with the appraisal that you received, and would guess this to be a German factory instrument.  Without having the violin in front of me, it's difficult to assign a value, but I would guess that it would sell at auction for closer to $500, U.S.  For a proper appraisal, I would recommend taking it in person to a reputable violin shop.  Call first to make an appointment with a skilled luthier/appraiser.

Best of luck with it!
Jim Fisher

James S. Fisher

Please Note: For an accurate appraisal of your instrument's value or history, I must advise you to take it to a local luthier or string shop for an evaluation. It's really not possible to do this with any accuracy via email.

However, I am happy to answer other questions about violins, bows, violin playing, and violin/bow repair. I can also talk with you about what bows, rosin, strings, cases, shoulder rests, etc. might work best for you and your particular instrument. (There are some great new products on the market.) I've taught violin and fiddle playing for the past 18 years and will answer questions about playing and technique.

I've been studying the violin for over thirty years. I started teaching in 1996. In addition to my training at Lebanon Valley College and at the Violin Institute, I handle violins, bows, and customer questions of all sorts on a daily basis in my shop - J.S. Fisher Violins,

I hold a Bachelor of Music degree from Lebanon Valley College, as well as certificates in violin repair, violin maintenance, and bow rehairing from the Violin Institute at the University of New Hampshire.