Violin/Stradivarius violin

Dear Mr. Lashof, I have an old violin with the following label:Antonius Straduarius.
There are inscriptions in ink, which is very difficult to understand.
You may have seen something similar and can tell. This tool is of no interest.
Thank you. Yuri

Hi Yuri,

Thank you for your question.  It looks like you intended this question for David.  Feel free to re-submit it to him, if you like.

What you have is a factory instrument, intended for import to the U.S., for sale in U.S. catalogs or stores.  They frequently use generic labels, hand-writing in the manufacture date and/or model.  The "Antonius Stradivarius" or similar indicator tells you that they patterened this violin from a Stradivari.  From the photo it does not appear to be a violin of very high quality.  It would have little re-sale value.  However, if you are looking for a fiddle to play yourself, it may be worth having it checked out and strung up.  Older fiddles often have a surprisingly good tone, due to the age of the wood, in spite of poor craftsmanship.  If you're a classical player, then this won't have the warm, mellow tone of a more expensive violin.  But, if you happen to be a fiddler, the "edgy" sound of inexpensive fiddles often suits the style well, and this may work well for you.  I'd recommend taking it to a violin shop to get it checked out.

Best of luck with it!

Jim Fisher

James S. Fisher

Please Note: For an accurate appraisal of your instrument's value or history, I must advise you to take it to a local luthier or string shop for an evaluation. It's really not possible to do this with any accuracy via email.

However, I am happy to answer other questions about violins, bows, violin playing, and violin/bow repair. I can also talk with you about what bows, rosin, strings, cases, shoulder rests, etc. might work best for you and your particular instrument. (There are some great new products on the market.) I've taught violin and fiddle playing for the past 18 years and will answer questions about playing and technique.

I've been studying the violin for over thirty years. I started teaching in 1996. In addition to my training at Lebanon Valley College and at the Violin Institute, I handle violins, bows, and customer questions of all sorts on a daily basis in my shop - J.S. Fisher Violins,

I hold a Bachelor of Music degree from Lebanon Valley College, as well as certificates in violin repair, violin maintenance, and bow rehairing from the Violin Institute at the University of New Hampshire.