Violin/approximate value of my stainer copy violin

Question
Hi, David,
I own a vintage violin that is a copy of Jacobus Stainer.
I bought it online from a guitar store thinking it was a 3/4. I didn't want to return it due to shipping fee. I took it to a luthier had it checked out. It had an open seam near the end pin. He fixed that for me. I also had him changed the tail piece and chinrest so it fits me better. I also had a new bridge and sound post cut and fitted.

The violin had been "sound adjusted" by Giuseppe Virzi in New York which he called it "violin acoustheory restoration, he also rehaired the bow; apparently the violin owner also purchased a lifton alligator case. The sound adjustment, bow rehair, and case cost $150 in 1952. It seemed like Giuseppe Virzi had glued two pieces of wood to adjust the sound, one equilateral triangle that is about three inches high, and a half one cone shape that is about 3 inches long - with the thick end, about 3/4 inch wide, attached to the side of the violin. Both pieces surround the sound post. The first luthier would not touch the sound post thinking there might be a crack, but I checked and checked and didn't see any signs of crack.

I don't think this is a high end violin, probably just a beginner violin; however, I am curious how much would it cost. your opinion of its general value is much appreciated.

Answer
Hi Kim

The quality of different Stainer copies is all over the place, so without seeing the instrument it would be impossible to give a value. Some are basically worthless while others could be worth several thousand dollars. Pictures may not help as they don't show all of the criteria for a valuation. As far as the Virzi sound adjustment, that certainly hurts it's value as anyone that might be interested in the instrument may have to have that reversed and that could be $500 or more in additional cost.

My best advice is to have it seen in person so an estimate for the removal of the Verzi device. A value range of the instrument, once restored, should also be able to be obtained at the same time so that an informed decision could be made.  

Violin

David Lashof