Violin/Salazard violin

Question
violin 1
violin 1  

violin 2
violin 2  
I have what I believe to be a Salazard violin.  It is in pieces.  Looks like the glue just gave up.  There is a note glued to the inside that says it was repaired in 1818.  Is the instrument worth being reassembled by an expert?  Who might that expert be?  What is the range of value of the instrument in reassembled condition?

Answer
Hi Dave

The first thing that will need to be determined is if this is a real Salzard or a copy (no extra "A" in the brand although both spellings exist in the copies). The repair label may mean nothing as it could have been falsified to make the instrument appear to be older. My gut feeling, since it is only stamped Salzard in block letters with no first name, is that it is a copy from the late 1800's. Only seeing the instrument in person will allow that to happen. Even if it were to be a real Salzard, auction results have been fairly low, in the mid $1500's at the high end. The good ones were made by a family in Mirecourt and might retail in fine condition in the $5000 range.

Given that it appears that the center seam on the back is wide open and that there is probably additional work needed, even if it were to be real, the value of the instrument may not be any greater than the cost to repair it. The quality of the restoration will have a direct correlation to the final value.  

Violin

David Lashof