Violin/Viola da Gamba maker

Question
viola da gamba
viola da gamba  
hi
I have viola da gamba, but there is no label with the manufacturer, only symbol on the back and inside. Picture enclosed. Could you help me find out what is the maker.

Damian

Answer
Hi Damian

You may need to look to someone that specializes in baroque instruments such as William Monical of New York as most violin experts have very little exposure to the baroque period of instruments, especially those not of the violin family like the da Gamba and the d'Amore. Your instrument may also be local to your country which also makes it difficult for many appraisers as Poland is not a prolific country for instrument makers.

With all that said, the varnish and workmanship greatly resemble those of my first teacher - Willis M. Gault from Washington DC and he had a student named Robert (Zack) Miller who made a number of baroque instruments. The logo looks like it could be a Z and an M. He studied with Gault starting in 1957 and made instruments into the 1980's. He first lived in Maryland and then in his later years in Oklahoma.  The students of Gault, unless they turned professional makers, typically stayed with the same kind of varnish which your resembles.  Without seeing the instrument more closely, that is really the best that I could do.  

Violin

David Lashof