Violin/Violin

Question
Hello I have a violin made by Claude Boivin in fair to  good condition, inside the f hole is Claude Boivin a Paris.1731 I know without seeing it its just a guess but can you give a rough estimate of what it might be worth ?

Answer
Hi John,

Thanks for your question.  It's unlikely that the label in your instrument in genuine.  The instruments of makers like Boivin are fairly well known and cataloged.  And, anyone can falsify a label.  Also, factory instruments are often labeled according to the instrument that they are patterned after, with no real intent to deceive.  

But, that doesn't mean that the instrument is not valuable.  Many factory instruments made for import to the U.S. are quite fine.  But, I'm afraid there's not much I can tell you about this particular instrument just from the label.  I'd recommend taking it to a reputable violin shop for an appraisal.

Best of luck with it!

Jim Fisher  

Violin

James S. Fisher