Violin/Hopf violin

Hello. I would be very  happy
IF you could maybe tell me some
Information about my violin i got
From my grandfather.
Maybe age and if its 10 dollars
Worth or 1000
Sorry my english is poor
Imorgon from sweden

Best regards john

Hi John,

Thank you for your question.  What you have is a factory instrument, patterned after the fine instruments produced by Casper Hopf and his descendants.  From the photos it does appear to be a true "copy", as opposed to a violin that simply has the Hopf name on as a selling point.  But, it is not an original, I'm afraid. If is just conceivable that it could be a genuine instrument from one of the later Hopf makers, but that is unlikely.

Still, that does not mean it is without value.  There were many very fine factory instrument produced for import to the United States, and other locations.  If I had to take a wild guess, just from the photos, I'd say that it is worth between $300 and $1000.  But, it's possible, depending on the condition and the quality of craftsmanship that it could be worth more or less.  The only way to really know is to take it to a qualified luthier and have an appraisal done, in person.  

Best of luck with it!  If nothing else, you have a very nice family heirloom and a way to remember your grandfather.

Best Regards,
Jim Fisher

James S. Fisher

Please Note: For an accurate appraisal of your instrument's value or history, I must advise you to take it to a local luthier or string shop for an evaluation. It's really not possible to do this with any accuracy via email.

However, I am happy to answer other questions about violins, bows, violin playing, and violin/bow repair. I can also talk with you about what bows, rosin, strings, cases, shoulder rests, etc. might work best for you and your particular instrument. (There are some great new products on the market.) I've taught violin and fiddle playing for the past 18 years and will answer questions about playing and technique.

I've been studying the violin for over thirty years. I started teaching in 1996. In addition to my training at Lebanon Valley College and at the Violin Institute, I handle violins, bows, and customer questions of all sorts on a daily basis in my shop - J.S. Fisher Violins,

I hold a Bachelor of Music degree from Lebanon Valley College, as well as certificates in violin repair, violin maintenance, and bow rehairing from the Violin Institute at the University of New Hampshire.