Visual Basic/Installing VB6+MS ACCESS Under Multiuser Lan

Question
We have developed a vb6 + MS access 2003 project for our client. Reports have been developed using crystal report x1. Currently project is installed as a network share under LAN. There will about 4-5 users accessing this project. All users have windows xp professional OS. We have kept both vb6 exe and ms access mdb file in a netwotk shared folder. All users has shortcut to this vb6 exe on their m/c. So this is not a client/server scenario.

We have currently put all sql queries in our vb6 coding only so access db has only tables.

What is right approach to install this project under multi user Lan. Is splitting MS ACCESS DB in front end and back end is right approach ? i.e. putting front end db and vb6 exe on each user m/c and back end db (having only tables) under network share.

OR

Does SYSTEM DSN / File DSN can help in creating such client/server kind of setup? If so how ? i.e. how db path gets resolved from each client exe?

Your help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Vimal P

Answer
Hi Vimal,
You should definitely store the database on a server.

As far as accessing the db there are a couple ways you could go.

The first way is to just point the program to the network path, for example \\server\files\db.  However, if this path were to ever change the program would need to be edited to update the path.

The second way you could go is to map a drive to each computer then point the program to that drive, then if the network path ever changed just remap the drive to the new network path.  This is the way I recommend do it.

I am not familiar with the system dsn file so I could not advise you there.

I would NOT store the program on the server because unless it was designed to allow multiple users to access it, only one user will be able to use it at a time.

Kevin

Visual Basic

Kevin Watkins