Visual Basic/The making of Scareware

Hi Richard

Do you know how the software "scareware" is created? I do know it has something to do with programming.

I'm just curious and wanted to know for educational purposes only. Since I'm a Magician anything that's a secret interest me. There are no books written about the topic on Amazon. It's like a mystery that some how only a few people know about.

I've got some of my own Magic videos online at if you want to see them.

Take Care

Scareware is basically garbage software that gives you a fake warning message like "your computer has a virus. Click here to fix it". You're then led to a site which "sells" you a solution to a problem that you don't have. It's essentially a scam.

You can program apps like this in any language you want, including VB. I don't recommend that you do.

Visual Basic

Richard Rost

I can answer any questions pertaining to Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0, Microsoft Access VBA, and the Visual Basic Language in general. I do NOT use VB.NET or VB 2005/08 much yet, so don't ask me any questions specific to those. Also, please feel free to check the Tips & Tricks section of my web site for VB tips.

I am the president of and I specialize in Microsoft Access and Visual Basic Tutorials. I have been teaching in the classroom since 1994, and online since 2002.

I am a self-taught VB expert. I have been building software for clients since the early 90s (and on my own since I was a child). You can see a sample of my Tutorials on my web site at