Visual Basic/feasibility

Question
Dear Vitaly,

I'm in the early stages of a project I hope to offer as a service or sell as an invention. Unfortunately, though the idea seems solid it's in an area I have very little experience of.

From the little I know, it seems possible that visual basic may be the software I need for the program (which I'll probably have to pay someone else to code for me).

I'm going to start with a long list of numbers (a few hundred thousand).

I then hope to divide them into manageable chunks, maybe ten thousand each, this stage being automatic.

I then want to feed each chunk into Excel, produce sum values at the end of each column and row, perform some other adjustments I can't talk about yet, and then remove the numbers (and the sum values) from the Excel workbooks and export those numbers, duly processed.

Is this the sort of thing that can be done with visual basic?
thanks,

Martin

Answer
Dear Martin,

Short answer is yes.

The question is Visual Basic the best tool for your project. Based on the specifics you provided this project best tool could be just database, something like Oracle.

But you provided very few details...

For example, you said: "I'm going to start with a long list of numbers (a few hundred thousand)." - but you are not telling where FROM are they coming?  And so on.

Vitaly

Visual Basic

VITALY