Visual Basic/Free VB

QUESTION: Is there a good website to get a free version of VB? I got it once from Microsoft's site but haven't found it there since. It doesn't need to be a pro developer's tool. Just the best free version out there from an accountable website that would not contain ads or viruses.

ANSWER: Dear James,

There IS a free VB version on Microsoft website. Go to and look for the latest VB.NET Express Edition - you can download it for free and once you registered they are sending you a free license in e-mail.  

QUESTION: What does mean exactly? Is that a VB designed for website applications? I am looking for desktop app making only for now? Could you give me a direct link to what you are referring to as I get lost on their website and only find reports on security issues it once had and other support files and bundles and stuff.

Dear James,

VB.Net is the latest Microsoft VB. It has all the features of an old VB plus what they named Object Oriented structure. You'll need some time to adjust to their new development environment but essentially it is the same.

Here is the link to download:

This is a link to download Visual Studio and VB.Net is part of this download.

If you want VB only you can choose VB Only option during installation but I'd suggest you download and install full Studio - maybe you'd like to use C# instead of VB in the future and it will be available to you already.

Visual Basic

Area of expertise is Visual Basic .NET (VS 2008 and Framework 3.5) design and development for Windows applications. You can ask me any Visual Basic questions and some questions about .NET Framework. You can also ask me how to use Component One controls in Visual Basic. Do not ask me questions about Web design and development in Visual Basic.

I'm working as VB programmer from 1997, so I have a lot of experience with Visual Basic .NET as well as Visual Basic 6. Area of expertise is Visual Basic .NET (VS 2008 and Framework 3.5) design and development for Windows applications; Component One controls for Visual Basic; User controls; Moving VB6 applications to .NET.

B.S. in Computer Science