Voice Acting and Directing/getting started

hi, I feel as though i may have some potential for voice acting and I'm would like your expertise on how i could get started.

Thank you,

Patricia Lee Voice Acting in Bang Zoom\'s Studio 2 booth
Patricia Lee Voice Act  

First of all, what gives you the indication that you may have potential as a voice actor? Is it something your acting coach has told you? I ask this right off the bat because the most common mistake people make about Voice Acting is to think that they can do it because they are able to do "funny voices".  That is NOT what voice acting is about. It's acting, and you must be an actor - first and foremost. What we want in a voice actor at Bang Zoom! Studios, most often, is for you to bring yourself - as an actor - and use your natural voice.

If you have been studying acting and now want to branch out into voice work, then I would say that you should go for it. If you just watched some animation and/or video games and want to give it a try... then I would say, find a school or get some coaching before doing much else.

You can find some great resources online, and a terrific starting point is just to check out the adventuresinvoiceacting.com site, and some other sites dedicated to the craft.

I hope this helps as you begin this quest!  

Voice Acting and Directing

Eric P. Sherman

I can answer any question related to Voice Acting, such as: How to break into the business, What kinds of jobs exist, and how to develop the necessary skills. Also, regarding tools of the trade, such as demos, agents, and networking. Anything and everything related to the casting and recording process.

I started a studio called Bang Zoom! Entertainment which has been in business for 17 years. During this time we became the most prolific studio in the world doing voice over work for anime (Japanese animation). In addition, Bang Zoom is recognized for voice casting and recording of well-known video games such as World of Warcraft and Starcraft II, and League of Legends, and original high profile animated series for Marvel, Disney and Lego. I directed a series called The Secret Millionaires' Club featuring the voice of Warren Buffett and produced and directed a documentary entitled "Adventures in Voice Acting".

New York University, Tisch School of the Arts 1987

Webby Award, Best Sound Design Telly Award, Best Educational Documentary Best of Burbank Award, Audio Post Production SPJA Award, Best Casting Director

Disney Marvel Sony Aniplex Activision Microsoft Warner Brothers Blizzard EA Namco Bandai Capcom Starz Media Viz