Voice Acting and Directing/Starting Out in Voice Acting

Question
I have always been very good at doing voices both original and impersonation. What exactly does voice acting entail and how would I be able to start working in the field?

Answer
Mister Mic - Adventures in Voice Acting
Mister Mic - Adventure  
This is a very common misconception, but believe it or not, being good at "voices" and "impersonation" has very little to do with "Voice Acting."Being a Voice Actor is about the art of acting, and it requires one to study to be an actor.

This may not be the answer you wanted to hear. But if you are serious about it, it is the best answer because it is the truth. And if you are willing to do the work necessary, you can become a great one. Nothing worth doing is ever easy. (If it were, everyone would be doing it!)

Having a repertoire of characters in your actor's tool bag is an important thing, and finding the right voice for a character is definitely part of the job. But that's not where you start.

Ask any voice over artist (or voice actor) and you'll get the same answer: Take acting classes. That's step one. Study the craft of acting first. Learn how to give incredible performances, then work on the voice over techniques.

In life, the psychology comes first. Understand the WHY. That's 80% of being a voice actor. The technique is only 20%.

Read books on the subject - such as Voice Over Voice Actor, take workshops and acting lessons, and see if you've got the chops and the passion needed to make a go of it! Do the work first. Then you'll be ready to find the auditions. A career as a voice actor can be very fulfilling and I hope this gives you some inspiration to continue your exploration.  

Voice Acting and Directing

Eric P. Sherman