Voice Acting and Directing/Dubbing Voice in Plays.

Question
Dear Eric

1. Is it possible to Dub voice in Plays as there are live performances by artists as compared to Movies ?.

2. What will you prefer as a play director in this scenario for taking decisions ?.

Performing Artist reports Sore Throat, Cold problem which will not allow him/her to narrate properly just 1 day before the play ?.

a. Replacing the Artist with another Artist.
b. Dubbing voice for the Artist played in background by another artist. i.e. The Same Artist will act in the play, only in the background another voice will be playing which the artist has to synchronize.
c. Cancelling the Play.

Among a,b,c which is best suited for taking a decision and under what conditions and parameters ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Prashant, I'm not entirely qualified to answer this question because the theater is not my field of expertise. But knowing how difficult lip sync is in the studio to do well (we record one line at a time) I think that it would be far too difficult to pull off satisfactorily in a live performance, such as a stage play.

In general replacing the actor with another actor (an "understudy") is the preferred route to go in this scenario.

Canceling the play is the last option to consider - after all, "The show must go on!" as they say!

I hope that this helps a little bit.

Eric

Voice Acting and Directing

Eric P. Sherman