Volleyball/Roundhouse serve

Coach JR wrote at 2013-06-21 17:53:15
I have been coaching my oldest daughter and she has been playing for 4 years and uses the round house serve (developed on her own) and hits the ball so that it is NOT a floater.  When she is on, most of the opposition can not return her serve.  She mixes it up as a floater at times, but when she hits the line drive, it's almost untouchable.  I have had her mix it up with an over hand serve also, but I am affraid when she tries out for the high school team next week, the coach will be too close minded to take it into account.

CoachHouser wrote at 2013-12-08 17:06:23
Hello JR:

I don't get notifications of responses to my answers, so I'm just now seeing yours.  

My thoughts:  

* You say, "When she's on."  What's nice about a floater is that it's almost always "on".  It's such a simpler serve to execute, simpler to locate, etc.  

* You say, "When she hits the line drive," and that's the problem with spinners and round-house serves:  It's "when".  

Close minded?  I want my players to serve a ball that has reasonable risks and maximum reward.  For me, the best options for teen females are a low floater or short.  Some people are close minded.  Some are so opened minded that they create unnecessary risk.

I just watched the Virginia public school state championships.  No, this is not the best vball in the USA, but not the worst by far.  I saw a few girls jump spinning.  ONE got a a roll in ONE set.....which her team got up 11-1, but lost 25-27.  I saw dozens of girls hit lite wossie spinners that were completely ineffective.  Yes, high % in the court, but low % scoring.  But, when girls had simple low floaters (jump floaters are even better!), that's when they would score points per term of service.  Almost guaranteed.  

I know you will say that your daughter has an effective serve, and I'm sure she does sometimes.  However, as the competition increases, as she gets older, her spinner will become less and less effective.  You want much college vball?  Much international vball?  How many women perform this serve?  It's NOT b/c they're not athletic enough; but, its b/c it has too high risk, too low of a return.  I'd guess 98% of the women who play college & international vball are serving standing, bombing, or jump floaters.  

Do you have video of your daughter's serve?  I'd LOVE to see it!  You can contact me at  

It's great to hear from you!  Please visit us at  

Tom Houser

I can answer any type of volleyball question: middle school, high school, college, club, coaching, playing, etc. (I am not, however, a athletic trainer! If you have a knee, ankle, back, etc. question, I'm sorry, but please search for another expert.)

I will almost always answer your question within 24 hours.

You may also email me anytime at! I'd enjoy hearing from you!

TEENAGERS: Please check your email tomorrow. I will probably have answered your question by then. :)

In the past 10 years, vball has taken my to San Francisco, Miami, Alaska, Pennsylvania, both Carolinas, and Salt Lake City. We can't wait to come visit you!

Then, one last favor: please grade my answer!

32 years coaching varsity, JV, club.

You can see all about me at There are also free downloads for coaches & parents, and lots of smiling faces for you volleyball players!

BS degree from Va Tech in Math Education. MS degree from Va Tech in Secondary Administration. In the fall, I'll be starting my 31st year teaching high school math!

The Picture!
The picture that you see is the 2015 15's team that I'm fortunate to be a part of. We will participate in 10 tournaments: Monument (Richmond) in January, Capitol Hill (Wash DC) in February, Shamrock (Roanoke, Va) in March and both BigSouth (Atlanta) and Northeast Qualifiers (Philadelphia) in April. My teams have qualified for Junior Nationals in '06, '09 and '12. We can't wait for this season to begin!

You can see this by visiting me at , then touch the "Coach Houser" link in the top right-hand corner.