Volleyball/jump serve with sidespin

Feuryous wrote at 2013-01-24 21:08:55
Just a little insight:

Start by hitting the shot while standing on the ground. First hit the ball on the side out of your own hand towards the ground in front of a wall and repeat whipping your hand by the side of the ball like you do for your top spin but on the side.  Keep striking the ball a little higher towards the top while watching the spin effect as it curves towards the ground, hits the wall, and then jumps to the side. Don't reinvent the top jump serve just add to it by snapping a little off center towards the top as you normally do.  Work on hitting the serve standing until you have it down then add the jump which really helps the movement/pace on the ball.

I have played since I could walk as well as collegiately

Hope this helps.

Tom Houser

I can answer any type of volleyball question: middle school, high school, college, club, coaching, playing, etc. (I am not, however, a athletic trainer! If you have a knee, ankle, back, etc. question, I'm sorry, but please search for another expert.)

I will almost always answer your question within 24 hours.

You may also email me anytime at! I'd enjoy hearing from you!

TEENAGERS: Please check your email tomorrow. I will probably have answered your question by then. :)

In the past 10 years, vball has taken my to San Francisco, Miami, Alaska, Pennsylvania, both Carolinas, and Salt Lake City. We can't wait to come visit you!

Then, one last favor: please grade my answer!

32 years coaching varsity, JV, club.

You can see all about me at There are also free downloads for coaches & parents, and lots of smiling faces for you volleyball players!

BS degree from Va Tech in Math Education. MS degree from Va Tech in Secondary Administration. In the fall, I'll be starting my 31st year teaching high school math!

The Picture!
The picture that you see is the 2015 15's team that I'm fortunate to be a part of. We will participate in 10 tournaments: Monument (Richmond) in January, Capitol Hill (Wash DC) in February, Shamrock (Roanoke, Va) in March and both BigSouth (Atlanta) and Northeast Qualifiers (Philadelphia) in April. My teams have qualified for Junior Nationals in '06, '09 and '12. We can't wait for this season to begin!

You can see this by visiting me at , then touch the "Coach Houser" link in the top right-hand corner.