Volleyball/club volleyball vs. alternatives

vb coach wrote at 2010-02-25 16:28:37
Coach. While I appreciate your answer, being a HS coach in a medium sized school myself, I could not disagree more with points 1 and 2.

We have been to state the past two seasons and finished third both years, with both semifinal matches being anyone's to win/lose and we simply fell short. Anyway, the bottom line is that it comes down to athletes. If you as any premier college coach (I have heard them first hand say this) such as Terry Pettit, John Cook, and John Dunning; they recruit multi sport athletes. They want the kids who are multi-talented and value what these girls gain from playing basketball and going out for track. So, sorry for this stance but I would say become involved in any activity which allows you to fine tune your motor skills, and become a better ATHLETE

CoachHouser wrote at 2010-04-29 00:12:16
Good evening and I'm glad you visited www.allexperts.com.  

Being a multi-sport athlete is fine and great.  However, 99.99% of girls who don't play club ball will never play for the coaches you listed.  It's great to play bball, soccer, etc.  But if a girl wants to play for Dunning, Pettit, etc., she MUST play very very high level club ball.

For example, did both teams have the same # of girls who played club?  If one team would have had 10, while the other team had 5, then the 10-team would have won most of the time. So, if you had had twice as many club girls as the other team, the match probably wouldn't have been a toss up.  Playing club -- ANY club -- unbalances the scales!  

A private school here in Roanoke just won a state championship.  That's great since there were 27 teams in the classification.  And b/c many of the private schools are bump-and-giggle, there were probably only about 10 to 15 decent teams.  On the other hand, there are over 130 schools in each public school classification!  When you make the final 4 in the public school tournament here in Virginia, you'd DONE SOMETHING!  But if most of the players on a team don't play club ball, that team probably won't even make the top 100........ regardless of the athletes on the team.

Club ball actually evens the playing field when you have a team with inferior athletes.  My teams have won dozens of matches vs. physically superior opponents b/c we were more skilled.  How did we get that way?  We had twice the number girls who played club ball than our opponents.  

I stick by what I said b/c I've seen hundreds of examples of it.  I've seen no examples of girls playing for Dunning & Petit who didn't play high level club ball.

Thank you again for your comments.  Please visit us again here at www.allexperts.com, and visit my website if you have a moment, www.coachhouser.com.  

Mitzi wrote at 2013-03-14 16:12:07
I'm sorry I think this is horrible.  There are lots of girls out there that are great athletes that won't have a chance because their parents don't have money?  This is ludicrous.  Someone's getting rich on this deal.  I truly sympathize with this women.  Our granddaughter is great athlete.  Her mom is single and can't afford this.  So, my husband and I are paying for it because we've been told she has to do club. I don't know who started this but I think it's terrible.  It's basically telling kids it doesn't matter how hard you work you won't play because your parents don't have money

Volleyball

Tom Houser