Volleyball/Which offense? 5-1 or 6-2?

Levi wrote at 2013-01-30 21:52:26
In short, the PROS of a 5-1 are that:

1. Your team WILL have a better connections with the setter because they just have to adjust to one setter's style

2. On three out of the six rotations, you'll have an extra person to help on your back row defense

The CONS of a 5-1 are that

1. You have to take account that your setter can have an off-day, and that'd affect your whole team's synergy

2. You lose out an OH when the setter is in the front row.

The PROS of a 6-2

1. You have a second setter to back up your team, so the burden is not all on the first setter.

2. You gain an OH, if the setter is also a good hitter.

3. The setter now has 5 different options to set the ball, at all times

The CONS of a 6-2

1. You sacrifice your backrow defense at all times

2. The passing ability in the team needs to be at least above average. Otherwise, the backrow will suffer.  

CoachHouser wrote at 2013-02-25 15:39:52
Hello Levi!

It's great to hear from you and thank you for contributing.  But, I disagee with you with regard to back row defense.  You assume that setters aren't good diggers.  Many setters are great defensively and they take pride in it.  On some teams, the setter is the leader in digging stats. For those teams where the setter isn't a good digger, then that must be addressed by the coaching staff.  I, personally, do not accept "She's a great setter, but a lousy digger."  If that were true, then (a) does she not care (b) do her coaches not care or (c) she's just not athletic enough....which doesn't seem possible since she is athletic enough to be a starting setter.  

Thanks so much again for commmenting!

Please visit us again at www.allexperts.com.

And, if you have a moment, please come by www.coachhouser.com.  I think you'll like all the smiling faces.  

Volleyball

Tom Houser