Volleyball/Finding email addresses of college coaches

I have been working a lot on my outside hits. Do you know of any good volleyball workouts to help me increase my vertical? Also, do you have any ideas on how to get college team emails to show my future interest? Thanks, and I appreciate it a bunch!:)

ANSWER: Good morning Molly!  

Good morning and welcome to!  

Volleyball coaches answer your question about vertical (and "How do I make the team?") more than any other question.  

On the one hand, the answer to your question won't make you happy.  B/c unless you go to a jumping professional and pay some big bucks, you won't see more than 2 or 3 inch increase in your jump, regardless of how much you work.  But if you pay that professional thousands, you may only see 3 to 4.  These people who say their vertical rose 6 inches?  Either they're lying, the athlete must have been in HORRIBLE shape and/or the athlete must have lost 50 pounds!  Yeah, losing 50 pounds will make anyone jump higher  haha

On the other hand, you really don't need to come to an "expert" to give you ideas on how to jump better.   The bottom line....... JUMP!  Jump a lot.  Jump everywhere.  You can jump with weights, jump w/o weights, jump quick, jump maximum, jump on boxes, jump up steps, etc.  But jump, jump, jump!  Other exercises that, of course, will help:  squats, lunges, anything that'll make your more explosive.  You can sprint 60 or 40 yards, you can run up bleachers, or spring up some steep hills.  Yes, lifting will help.  

Next:  What did you mean by question about college teams?   
When you rephrase your question, I'll answer that part of your post.   

Thank you for emailing me!  
I hope you have time to visit  I think you'll really enjoy the smiling faces!

What I meant was how can I find addresses or email addresses of D1 schools to contact them telling of my future interest?

Good evening!
I'm glad you contacted me again.
Back in the day, we'd have to have a book with everyone's email addresses.
Even 5 or 10 years ago, we would have had to go to each university's website.
But, now, search engines have become so good, that this is what I'd recommend.  Let's say you want to know the email address of a coach.  I'd google it!  I just went to Google, and typed "Email address of the head volleyball coach at Michigan State University," and the coach's email address was the 3rd listing.  When I tried "Email address of the head volleyball coach at Gardner Webb University," and it was the 1st listing.  
So, that is my recommendation.  
If you to chat some more about this:  how tall are you?  How high do you reach?  These are two key things that coaches will want to know.  The higher you can reach, the more productive a hitter/blocker will usually be.  
My camp staff did 11 camps last summer....that's 38 in the past 4 years!  We already have 6 scheduled for this coming summer.  I hope that we'll be in your area!  
Happy new year!  
Coach Houser

Tom Houser

I can answer any type of volleyball question: middle school, high school, college, club, coaching, playing, etc. (I am not, however, a athletic trainer! If you have a knee, ankle, back, etc. question, I'm sorry, but please search for another expert.)

I will almost always answer your question within 24 hours.

You may also email me anytime at! I'd enjoy hearing from you!

TEENAGERS: Please check your email tomorrow. I will probably have answered your question by then. :)

In the past 10 years, vball has taken my to San Francisco, Miami, Alaska, Pennsylvania, both Carolinas, and Salt Lake City. We can't wait to come visit you!

Then, one last favor: please grade my answer!

32 years coaching varsity, JV, club.

You can see all about me at There are also free downloads for coaches & parents, and lots of smiling faces for you volleyball players!

BS degree from Va Tech in Math Education. MS degree from Va Tech in Secondary Administration. In the fall, I'll be starting my 31st year teaching high school math!

The Picture!
The picture that you see is the 2015 15's team that I'm fortunate to be a part of. We will participate in 10 tournaments: Monument (Richmond) in January, Capitol Hill (Wash DC) in February, Shamrock (Roanoke, Va) in March and both BigSouth (Atlanta) and Northeast Qualifiers (Philadelphia) in April. My teams have qualified for Junior Nationals in '06, '09 and '12. We can't wait for this season to begin!

You can see this by visiting me at , then touch the "Coach Houser" link in the top right-hand corner.