Volleyball/Co-ed quads strategy

My team and I just started playing in an indoor co-ed quads league and we could use some advice on how to best set up offensively and defensively.  We've played together in a co-ed sixes league for a couple of sessions, but we're a little outmatched in quads.

Our team is comprised of 1) a great female outside hitter who played with great success at the college level (as an OH), 2) a great defensive player who has the typical size and skill of a DS and some good setting hands, 3) an athletic soccer player who is generally new to volleyball but has shown some talent, and 4) myself, an all-around player (and coach) who hits more for effect than power.

In the one match we've played so far this quads session, we've tried the DS as setter with me coming up from back middle to hit middle, the OH hitting outside, and the soccer player hitting opposite.  This left us with virtually no blocking up front.  We then tried me at setter and the DS playing back, and the soccer player covering opposite defensively, but coming in to hit middle.  This cut down on our offense considerably.

We're considering trying out the soccer player at setter for a game or so, with me playing opposite and hitting from there or coming middle.

We certainly welcome any of your suggestions.  This league is filled with teams that have very strong play and we want to stay competitive.

ANSWER: Hello Eric:
I've been teaching school all day, 30 miles on my bicycle, then dinner with the family.  I have read your situation.... while I was stopped at redlights.  :)   I hope to be able to share some of my thoughts with you tomorrow.
It's great hearing from you.  
Coach Houser  

Good morning:
I'm not back living a normal life.  I'm so sorry that I haven't been able to give you my opinions.... with Junior Nationals, 11 summer camps (that begin tomorrow), teaching high school math, and trying to be a husband.  Jeeeze, too much on my plate.  
Do you still need my help?  If so, I can probably give you some ideas today.
Again, I apologize for not being more help.  Thank you for being so understanding.  
Coach Houser

I understand and empathize with the daily demands of our lives, so no need to apologize.  I am always open to good advice and discussion, so whenever you get a chance to address my original message, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!

Hey man!
How are you?  Is there anything else I can do for you?  If so please contact me anytime.  I'd like to give you some complementary drills for visiting me here at  If that's something that you would be interested in, please contact me at coachhouser(at)  
In fact, this goes for any of the allexperts readers.  Just email me, tell me that you're interested in the free drills offer, and they should be in your inbox in a few days.
Hope you're doing well and hope it's a great fall!   
Coach Houser  

Tom Houser

I can answer any type of volleyball question: middle school, high school, college, club, coaching, playing, etc. (I am not, however, a athletic trainer! If you have a knee, ankle, back, etc. question, I'm sorry, but please search for another expert.)

I will almost always answer your question within 24 hours.

You may also email me anytime at! I'd enjoy hearing from you!

TEENAGERS: Please check your email tomorrow. I will probably have answered your question by then. :)

In the past 10 years, vball has taken my to San Francisco, Miami, Alaska, Pennsylvania, both Carolinas, and Salt Lake City. We can't wait to come visit you!

Then, one last favor: please grade my answer!

32 years coaching varsity, JV, club.

You can see all about me at There are also free downloads for coaches & parents, and lots of smiling faces for you volleyball players!

BS degree from Va Tech in Math Education. MS degree from Va Tech in Secondary Administration. In the fall, I'll be starting my 31st year teaching high school math!

The Picture!
The picture that you see is the 2015 15's team that I'm fortunate to be a part of. We will participate in 10 tournaments: Monument (Richmond) in January, Capitol Hill (Wash DC) in February, Shamrock (Roanoke, Va) in March and both BigSouth (Atlanta) and Northeast Qualifiers (Philadelphia) in April. My teams have qualified for Junior Nationals in '06, '09 and '12. We can't wait for this season to begin!

You can see this by visiting me at , then touch the "Coach Houser" link in the top right-hand corner.