Volleyball/volleyball (new net rule)

i am taking a college vb course i asked the coach about the new net rule change on touching the net he said it was an international rule only i dont think that is correct. since its listed in the usav  domestic rule book. I have read the  rule 11.3.1  which says its ok to touch the netbelow the tape long as it dont interfere with play. if its in the usav  rule book isnt that a domestic rule also?  thanks dwight

Hello Dwight!  
Welcome to  It's great to hear from you.
I know two rule books really well:  The USAV rule book does allow for net contact EXCEPT (a) during an attack (b) along the top of the net.  
I'm not sure if this is accepted in international vball.  If you watched a lot of the Olympic vball competition last summer, you probably know.  I wasn't able to b/c of my camp business.  
The National Federation rules, however, haven't adopted this rule (as of 2012-2013 school year).  But it is a possible change for 2013-2014.  
I hope that this helps you some.
And please feel free to contact me about any other situation.  You can find me here or at  Also, if you have a moment, I hope you can visit us at  I think you'll like the smiling faces.  :)
I hope you have a wonderful day!
Tom Houser

Tom Houser

I can answer any type of volleyball question: middle school, high school, college, club, coaching, playing, etc. (I am not, however, a athletic trainer! If you have a knee, ankle, back, etc. question, I'm sorry, but please search for another expert.)

I will almost always answer your question within 24 hours.

You may also email me anytime at! I'd enjoy hearing from you!

TEENAGERS: Please check your email tomorrow. I will probably have answered your question by then. :)

In the past 10 years, vball has taken my to San Francisco, Miami, Alaska, Pennsylvania, both Carolinas, and Salt Lake City. We can't wait to come visit you!

Then, one last favor: please grade my answer!

32 years coaching varsity, JV, club.

You can see all about me at There are also free downloads for coaches & parents, and lots of smiling faces for you volleyball players!

BS degree from Va Tech in Math Education. MS degree from Va Tech in Secondary Administration. In the fall, I'll be starting my 31st year teaching high school math!

The Picture!
The picture that you see is the 2015 15's team that I'm fortunate to be a part of. We will participate in 10 tournaments: Monument (Richmond) in January, Capitol Hill (Wash DC) in February, Shamrock (Roanoke, Va) in March and both BigSouth (Atlanta) and Northeast Qualifiers (Philadelphia) in April. My teams have qualified for Junior Nationals in '06, '09 and '12. We can't wait for this season to begin!

You can see this by visiting me at , then touch the "Coach Houser" link in the top right-hand corner.