Volleyball/Hitting Statistics

Hi Coach Houser,

If I hit a ball and it gets blocked and lands in the court, it should be a hitting attempt and a hitting error on the stats. However, would it be any different if I hit a ball and it gets blocked however it lands on my side of the court and my teammate shanks that ball? Would it still be a hitting error or just an attempt?

Good morning Richard and welcome to!  

* The first situation:  Correct.  
If you are stuff blocked, you will receive a hitting attempt and a hitting error.  
The only time that could change is if the set put you right into the block and you have almost no chance of saving the play.  Thus, on my stat sheet, you would be nothing, and the setter would get a setting error.   

* The second situation:  On my stat sheet, the scoring depends on the difficulty of the play that your teammate is trying to make.
--> For example, suppose you get blocked, and three teammates stand there while the ball falls on the floor.  I personally don't give my hitter a hitting error for that. But, I do give a dig-not-made for each of the "spectators".
--> Next example: suppose you get blocked, the ball is going down, but a teammate dives and tries to get the ball up, but, even though he touched it, he had very little chance, the ball ricochets into the crowd.  You would receive a hitting attempt and a hitting error b/c even with your teammate's best efforts, the block is what ended the rally.  
--> Next example:  supposed you get blocked, the ball is up, it appears a teammate will have an easy play, but shanks it, and the ball falls untouched.  I think this is what you were talking about.  On my stat sheet, you get a hitting attempt, and the passer gets a dig-not-made.  

My stats may be a little different than most coaches.  
First, my players don't do them.  I do them after I get home by watching the video.
Second, I give my players what they earn (like the setting error, instead of the hitting error).  
Third, are you familiar with the 3,2,1,0 serve receive scoring? Well, I do that also with free ball passing, and with setting.  I probably could do it with serving...but I just thought about that.  :)  

Is there anything else I can do for you?
If you can think of anything else, you can follow up here, or email me at
Also, if you have a moment, please visit me at I think you'll really like all the smiling faces.  :)

Tom Houser

I can answer any type of volleyball question: middle school, high school, college, club, coaching, playing, etc. (I am not, however, a athletic trainer! If you have a knee, ankle, back, etc. question, I'm sorry, but please search for another expert.)

I will almost always answer your question within 24 hours.

You may also email me anytime at! I'd enjoy hearing from you!

TEENAGERS: Please check your email tomorrow. I will probably have answered your question by then. :)

In the past 10 years, vball has taken my to San Francisco, Miami, Alaska, Pennsylvania, both Carolinas, and Salt Lake City. We can't wait to come visit you!

Then, one last favor: please grade my answer!

32 years coaching varsity, JV, club.

You can see all about me at There are also free downloads for coaches & parents, and lots of smiling faces for you volleyball players!

BS degree from Va Tech in Math Education. MS degree from Va Tech in Secondary Administration. In the fall, I'll be starting my 31st year teaching high school math!

The Picture!
The picture that you see is the 2015 15's team that I'm fortunate to be a part of. We will participate in 10 tournaments: Monument (Richmond) in January, Capitol Hill (Wash DC) in February, Shamrock (Roanoke, Va) in March and both BigSouth (Atlanta) and Northeast Qualifiers (Philadelphia) in April. My teams have qualified for Junior Nationals in '06, '09 and '12. We can't wait for this season to begin!

You can see this by visiting me at , then touch the "Coach Houser" link in the top right-hand corner.