Volleyball/Unofficial visits during the recruiting process

Question

When (in the recruiting process) do college coaches usually invite players on unofficial visits?  
Thanks.

Answer
Hello Chris!
Welcome to www.allexperts.com.  

I don't know if you asked the question uniquely, or if I'm not understanding.  

Most athletes contact the coaches regarding when the athlete wants to schedule an unofficial visit.  I guess a coach can say, "Come visit our campus, but it's all your expense," but my daughter was never told that by a D1 coach.  

I found an article that has a lot of information.  Now....it's not from the NCAA website, so I recommend that you double check the facts.   http://theathleticscholarship.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-unofficial-visit-ncaa-rul.

Also, since you're from Canada, are you talking about visiting colleges in the USA?  I hope so, or that link won't help you at all.  :)   Also, that link is just talking about the colleges that are members of the NCAA.  Many schools are members of another association:  The NAIA.  The recruiting rules for the coaches are different, depending on the association that they belong to.  

Regardless:  If you want to visit a school, then call the coach, and tell the coach, "I'd like to visit on the weekend of December ____.  Can I meet you then?  Or is another weekend better?"  Then call the next coach of the next school that you're interested in.  Then call the next one.  Visit all the schools that you are considering attending.  Find the one that fits you.  And remember:  Pick the school that (a) offers what you want to study AND (b) that you really like.  Then (c) if they need you to play vball, then that's GREAT!!   But, don't pick a school until you (a) and (b)are ensured to the best of your abilities.

Thank you again for contacting me at www.allexperts.com.
If you ever have more questions, please followup here, or contact me at coachhouser@yahoo.com.
And please visit us at www.coachhouser.com.  I think you'll really like the camp info.....50 camps the past 5 years in Calif, OK, Va, Del, Penn, Alaska and NC.  We can't wait for next summer!  

Coach Houser  

Volleyball

Tom Houser