Volleyball/Attacking the Serve (and "leaving your feet" isn't in any rule that I know of)

Question
What constitutes "attacking the serve"? I have heard some say you are good as long as your feet don't leave the ground. I have heard some say you are good as long as you don't hit the ball above the plane of the net. I am not sure. Thanks.

Answer
Hello Matt:

Welcome to www.allexperts.com!  

I'm 99% familiar with the USAV and the National Federation rule book.   Both rule books say that if a person receives a serve above the height of the net, and immediately takes the ball back over to their opponents, then the serve has been illegally "attacked".  Now, this contact be a block, hit, overhand pass, etc.  It can be one-handed, two-handed, jumping, standing, etc.  

Please come back again whenever you think we can do anything else for you.  
And I hope you have a moment to visit www.coachhouser.com.  I know that you'll love the smiling faces.  
Coach Houser

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you want to stop reading now, you may.  :)    B/c I've got to get something off my chest.   

I hope I don't appear impolite, but I hope that every vball girl/boy/man/women reads this: THERE IS NO RULE ....in ANY rule book (that I'm familiar with) .... that has ANY MENTION of leaving your feet.  *Shew*  I've said that now about 10,000 times.  CAN ANYONE TELL ME.... who IS the person that says to everyone: "As long as you jump, it's OK."  Is it in the Bible?  Was it some Egyptian manuscript You know, disco has come & gone, M*A*S*H has come & gone, ....but people still say, "Well, I didn't jump!"  I even read a girls lips in DC two weeks ago.  She looked at the ref and said, "I didn't jump."  

Volleyball

Tom Houser