Volleyball/disappointing club ball

My daughter is 5'8" and a setter for her High School State Championship team (won 10 out of the last 11 seasons), and she tries out for a 171 national power team. She was the only setter on the high school team (made all reginals and state volleyball team). 11 girls are put on the team.  3 setters-one is on the team because she is a sibling and the president of the club's daughter and as the director said it was for convenience, she is 14.  I spoke to the coach and director before the season about this and they both said no problem, the younger setter would play sparingly and when we were ahead (coach says he didn't say it exactly that way but I had sent him an email to thank him for easing our concerns).  Season started and my daughter is on the bench and comes in on the back row. She has a killer serve. Has only set one game. Plays back row.  I spoke to the coach and he said the younger setter had learned the faster set (just learned they had been practicing for one month prior to my daughter and other setter starting because they were still in season, they are home schooled and she also plays on the homeschool team with the star (college commit) middle blocker).  Had we know it was going to go like this, we would have done something different, too late now.  He said she is getting practice setting at practice and I should come, I have and don't see it.  She is getting good touches as a back row player so that I can be good with.  What should we do?  The high school coach is very upset as is the other high school setter's coach (she comes in only as the second setter). We are trying to be a team player but it is hard because we were sold a good story.  Two of the hitters are from my daughter's high school so we thought this would be a great time for them to practice together and be ready for their senior year.  My daughter is a great student (4.2 GPA and student council officer, volunteer, etc.  I am afraid that we have been had. Suggestions?

Hello Beth and welcome to

We’ll your daughter sounds like she has had a great volleyball journey up to now.
It is always a sensitive issue when explaining to parents why their child is not playing so much on the team as they used to. When seen by the eyes of every one who does not have children playing for a team, people are content with the team put out there.
When looking at the time on court playing through the parent's eyes, the view is totally different.

There are few but most coaches (99%) do want a winning team and choose a team based on what players will help them develop a winning season. For example a parent asked me why did the coach have a sophomore setter, junior setter, and a senior setter when her daughter was a senior and deserved to play that year. You have to prepare future players as the season is going on in order for them to have a great start for next year.

This is what the coaches are doing, they are picking players to keep the winning rotation alive by having new players, experienced players and great players so that cycle continues year after year and of course with this comes the winning season. It is all about just winning games, I think it is and you play with your best team first and then rotate those who are promising when appropriate.

Like I always say to moms, the more your child plays, the less another child plays. And if that mom is all about winning then so is the coach.
There is very little you can do when the coach has already taken a lot of time to plan today's and tomorrow’s team. This cycle that I spoke about above is done with any sport and in every team. Sometimes we don't want to see what might not be convenience to one.
No coach will ever say exactly what's on their mind or answer a question that might sound too blunt. Because coaches  are professionals, they will always tell the player about who is playing and never their reasons why. The players should not be subjective to why they are not playing that much.

The coach will answer parents but never on their intent about their players in front of everyone and parents should not ask of this from their coaches.
This is funny but when I was teaching 7th grade volleyball one year at my school, a player will never come to practice during the week but yet will bring her mom and ask me if her daughter was going to play if not she can take her home.

If you ask a coach anything that has to do with the line up, who is going to start etc. no coach will ever speak of an answer that is so inappropriate because there are other parents or players present and that is between the coach and the players.
Whatever decision you make I wish you good luck but please give your child the chance to at least be part of the team and help others who are not as experienced as your daughter. Please allow your daughter to share her great input about her long run in a volleyball team and help others reach their potentials.

Will you please take the time to rate me and good luck with your decision about your daughter because I know it is a hard one.
I hope this answers your question.

For the time is takes me to write all this information and possibly do research to give you the most updated information all I ask in return are two things.

1.   Please take the time to rate me. Any feedback you can provide for me will be great.
2.   Visit my website at plus:

You can also become a free member and learn the latest volleyball play systems, and newest volleyball serves plus much more.
See – Volleyball Offensive Systems – over 25
See - Over 31 different serves  
See - The Volleyball Gods
Get – FREE 28 play non system playbook just for being a free member
Get – FREE over 200 Volleyball T-Shirt Designs from the mind of ALIENTECH
See - Alien Attitude Balls
See - Over 200 Volleyball “Ball” designs

Juan A. Tovar

I can answer question that deal - creating your own volleyball plays - creating your own volleyball offensive systems - creating new set types - I can teach them the lastest play techniques new to the world - I am an expert in serving types (37) Setting Skills, Blocking Skills, and Serving Skills Here's what I can teach them: How to Create volleyball plays for all level teams How to create plays for high schools, club teams, college teams, pro teams, and Olympic teams How to create basic volleyball plays, advanced volleyball plays, and pro volleyball plays. Basic Systems will allow you to create up to 125 plays or more per system. Advanced Systems will allow you to create up to 475 plays or more per system. PRO Systems will allow you to create up to 750 plays or more per system. How to create back row volleyball plays. How to create play for the 7th and 8th person. How to create back row hitting plays How to create back row placing plays. How to create back row decoy plays. How to dissect volleyball plays. How to create volleyball offensive systems. How to make UFO volleyball plays. How to create plays using 5 , 9 and rainbow plays. How to create Offenses for middle attacks, regular attacks, and outside attacks. How to create unlimited plays. How to create unlimited volleyball offenses.

1985 - 1988 Volleyball Club 1989 - 1992 Brownsville/Harlingen City Team 1990 - 1991 Mexican Team setter - Undefeated Season 1991 - 1992 UTB Men's Volleyball Club Defensive Specialist 1992 - 1993 UTB Men's Volleyball Club Outside Hitter 1993 - 1994 UTB B-Team Coach and Team Captain 1995 - 1997 City League Team Brownsville/Harlingen 1996 - 1997 Mexican Team Captain/Trainer 1997 - 1998 Mexican Team Offensive Defensive Coordinator/Coach 1997 - 1998 Assistant Coach Mexican Women's A - Team, 2nd Place 1997 - 1998 Offensive Coordinator Mexican Team Seminars 1997 - 1998 Team Captain 1st Place AREA CHAMPS 1997 - 1998 Team Captain 2nd Place Mexican A - Team 1997 - 1998 Team Captain - 1st place International Tournament 1997 - 1998 Team Captain -1st place Mexican Tournament Champions 1999 - 2000 7th Grade Volleyball Coach 7 - 0 Undefeated season Overall Record 7th and 8th 33-8 1997 - 1998 Produced one of the most explosive offensive system in the world! The Bomb Volleyball Offensive System book by Juan A. Tovar with over 500 pure plays.

Brownsville Club Team, Harlingen Club Team, Sea Horse International Club Team, National UTB Club Team

WordPress, www.volleyballplaystorun., ecrator stores

I Have a Bachelor's degree in Kinesiology All Level from The University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College 1998, as well as an ALL Level Special Education

1990 - 1991 Mexican Team setter - Undefeated Season 1997 - 1998 Assistant Coach Mexican Women's A - Team, 2nd Place 1997 - 1998 Offensive Coordinator Mexican Team Seminars 1997 - 1998 Team Captain 1st Place AREA CHAMPS 1997 - 1998 Team Captain - 1st place International Tournament 1997 - 1998 Team Captain -1st place Mexican Tournament Champions

I have taught volleyball to students from 6 yrs to 55 yrs. for 8 years, taught serving types since 1985 to 1990. I have also trained many teams both in the USA amd in Mexico. I have trained some police departments as well as the fire departments in my home town.