Volleyball/Number of serve receivers....and what does everyone else do?

We play with 6 players, 3 male, 3 female, B level. Some are very good players and quick, others are not so quick.  Local teams insist that they want only 2 dedicted receivers in the back row, plus a third to play almost exactly in the middle of the court to recieve short serves just behind the setter. Is this a good line up?  Back row player each must cover 15 feet each.  I observe many bad passes due to the middle person trying to handle a serve at sholder level and back row scrambling when it goes over the middle person's head. 3 Front row players are doing nothing. It seems with 6 players we should have 3-4 receivers and front row should be available for the rare short serve.  Any thoughts?

Good morning Steve!
Welcome to!

While it isn't unusual to serve receive with only 2 people, the rest of what you're telling me very unusual.  This formation sounds like something I would have dreamed up in my first year of coaching.  

My team plays some very strong opponents from all over the country (tomorrow, we play teams from Fl, Nebraska & NC).  We would never see this serve receive formation.

A few thoughts:
* You can serve receive with 2 or 3 or 4; but, passers should NEVER be in each other's line of sign.
* Many coaches want NO ONE directly in front or behind a serve receiver.  Why?  B/c either that's going to create problems, or there's a person who's accomplishing nothing.  
* On my team one of my MB's is very good serve receiver.  So, she is in our serve receive formations even when she's a front row player.  I understand on your adult team, the captain/coach wants everyone to have an equal number of touches.  Been there, done that.  But, it's not the optimum way of playing ANY game.  Is there any game, even in a rec/adult/giggle league where anyone touches equally?  
* Yes, all other people who aren't primary receivers should be helping.  We say that helpers will probably pass 5% of the serves....they are either balls in the deep corners, balls that touch the net and roll over, etc.  About once a tournament, our setter has to take the first ball.  

Does this help?  
I have some serve receive formations that I will email to anyone who's interested. They are typical 6-2 serve receive formations that most teams use (assuming their receiving with the two OH's and their libero).  Just email me at

Hope it's a great day!
And I hope you have a moment to visit me at  Ten summer camps have been scheduled now in CA, OK, NC and Virginia.  There's a reason STAR Volleyball Site camps actually grew during the recession.  If you visit our website, I think you'll see why.  
Coach Houser

Tom Houser

I can answer any type of volleyball question: middle school, high school, college, club, coaching, playing, etc. (I am not, however, a athletic trainer! If you have a knee, ankle, back, etc. question, I'm sorry, but please search for another expert.)

I will almost always answer your question within 24 hours.

You may also email me anytime at! I'd enjoy hearing from you!

TEENAGERS: Please check your email tomorrow. I will probably have answered your question by then. :)

In the past 10 years, vball has taken my to San Francisco, Miami, Alaska, Pennsylvania, both Carolinas, and Salt Lake City. We can't wait to come visit you!

Then, one last favor: please grade my answer!

32 years coaching varsity, JV, club.

You can see all about me at There are also free downloads for coaches & parents, and lots of smiling faces for you volleyball players!

BS degree from Va Tech in Math Education. MS degree from Va Tech in Secondary Administration. In the fall, I'll be starting my 31st year teaching high school math!

The Picture!
The picture that you see is the 2015 15's team that I'm fortunate to be a part of. We will participate in 10 tournaments: Monument (Richmond) in January, Capitol Hill (Wash DC) in February, Shamrock (Roanoke, Va) in March and both BigSouth (Atlanta) and Northeast Qualifiers (Philadelphia) in April. My teams have qualified for Junior Nationals in '06, '09 and '12. We can't wait for this season to begin!

You can see this by visiting me at , then touch the "Coach Houser" link in the top right-hand corner.