Volleyball/Height of net for 7 to twelve year olds

My daughter is 7 and is 43 inches Lots of kids in the neighborhood are 7-12 years old We want. To set up a net in the backyard They will be beginners What height do you recommend the net to be.

Good evening and welcome to  
It's great to hear from you!  

Here is my suggestion.  Start the net at a height that is challenging, but not too difficult.  Maybe 6' for the 7 year old.  But, try to get the net to the proper height (7'4" +3/4") as soon as you can.  You don't let a girl shoot bball at a 8' rim if she can shoot to 9' or to 10'.  You get her to 10' asap.  

Now...the other kids in the neighborhood....a twelve year old is MUCH bigger and stronger than a 7, and should already be playing on a regulation height net.  So, the 7 and the twelve should only be helping each other....not competing, or learning at the same rate.  Having them on the court together will stunt the growth of the twelve.  Here's an example:  I just got home from giving a lesson to at 13 year old....who can serve overhand like a the ball is coming out of a cannon.  So, we had to reduce her arm swing and clean up her footwork.  I tell you b/c twelves are ready to play competitively, while the 7 year olds usually are not.  

Is there anything else I can do for you tonight?  If there's ever anything, please contact me here or at  You can also see the private lessons I offer and info on the 11 summer camps I'm directing at   

I hope you have had a great weekend!  Please keep in touch!  

Tom Houser

I can answer any type of volleyball question: middle school, high school, college, club, coaching, playing, etc. (I am not, however, a athletic trainer! If you have a knee, ankle, back, etc. question, I'm sorry, but please search for another expert.)

I will almost always answer your question within 24 hours.

You may also email me anytime at! I'd enjoy hearing from you!

TEENAGERS: Please check your email tomorrow. I will probably have answered your question by then. :)

In the past 10 years, vball has taken my to San Francisco, Miami, Alaska, Pennsylvania, both Carolinas, and Salt Lake City. We can't wait to come visit you!

Then, one last favor: please grade my answer!

32 years coaching varsity, JV, club.

You can see all about me at There are also free downloads for coaches & parents, and lots of smiling faces for you volleyball players!

BS degree from Va Tech in Math Education. MS degree from Va Tech in Secondary Administration. In the fall, I'll be starting my 31st year teaching high school math!

The Picture!
The picture that you see is the 2015 15's team that I'm fortunate to be a part of. We will participate in 10 tournaments: Monument (Richmond) in January, Capitol Hill (Wash DC) in February, Shamrock (Roanoke, Va) in March and both BigSouth (Atlanta) and Northeast Qualifiers (Philadelphia) in April. My teams have qualified for Junior Nationals in '06, '09 and '12. We can't wait for this season to begin!

You can see this by visiting me at , then touch the "Coach Houser" link in the top right-hand corner.