Volleyball/What do these #s mean? Block Reach? Apprach Reach?

my daughter took some private lessons from a college coach and she took her vertical jump measurements and I just got the results, she said her block jump is 17 and her approach jump is 22, what does that mean, 17 what and 22 what????? lol

Hello Wendy!

Good morning and welcome to!  It's great to hear from you!

Even though I wasn't there to watch -- and some coaches do these measurements a differently than others -- here is what these #'s usually mean.

First:  Imagine that your daughter is standing with both arms in the she's in an old gangster movie and the bad guy just said, "Stick 'em up!"   Now, how high she reaches would be her Standing Reach.  For example, let's say your daughter is 5'6"....a typical standing reach for someone 5'6" would be 7'0"...or course, it will vary some depending on the length of her arms.  

Now to the numbers that you gave me.  OK, the 5'6" girl walks to the vball net, and simulates a block.  According to the coach, she is reaching 17" higher at the peek of her jump than when standing.  So, the 5'6" girl's Block Jump would be 7'0" + 17" or 8'5".  (Feet & inches is the typical way of writing it.  The majority of coaches care more about how high an athlete can reach, than how many inches she can jump.  

Next:  When she does her spike approach, the coach says your daughter can reach 22" higher than when she is standing.  So, go back to the 5'6" girl, her Approach Reach would be 7'0" + 22" or 8'10".  

Does that help some?  If you have any more questions, please contact me anytime.  I'm approaching the end of my camp season (9 done, 2 more to do!!), so I may not be as quick in answering as I would like.  

If you have a moment, please visit us at  You'll get to see the camp pictures, the pics from my past club teams, from Jr. Nationals....a lot of smiling faces!  :)  

Whenever there's anything I can do for you, please contact me here or at

Coach Houser

Tom Houser

I can answer any type of volleyball question: middle school, high school, college, club, coaching, playing, etc. (I am not, however, a athletic trainer! If you have a knee, ankle, back, etc. question, I'm sorry, but please search for another expert.)

I will almost always answer your question within 24 hours.

You may also email me anytime at! I'd enjoy hearing from you!

TEENAGERS: Please check your email tomorrow. I will probably have answered your question by then. :)

In the past 10 years, vball has taken my to San Francisco, Miami, Alaska, Pennsylvania, both Carolinas, and Salt Lake City. We can't wait to come visit you!

Then, one last favor: please grade my answer!

32 years coaching varsity, JV, club.

You can see all about me at There are also free downloads for coaches & parents, and lots of smiling faces for you volleyball players!

BS degree from Va Tech in Math Education. MS degree from Va Tech in Secondary Administration. In the fall, I'll be starting my 31st year teaching high school math!

The Picture!
The picture that you see is the 2015 15's team that I'm fortunate to be a part of. We will participate in 10 tournaments: Monument (Richmond) in January, Capitol Hill (Wash DC) in February, Shamrock (Roanoke, Va) in March and both BigSouth (Atlanta) and Northeast Qualifiers (Philadelphia) in April. My teams have qualified for Junior Nationals in '06, '09 and '12. We can't wait for this season to begin!

You can see this by visiting me at , then touch the "Coach Houser" link in the top right-hand corner.