Volleyball/starting setter position.

My daughter is the starting setter for her team. The coach starts her at the 5 position (left back)...why would that be? He runs a 6 2. She has a great serve, even better on defense...and is a left handed right side hitter when needed as well. We have 12 girls on the team, so she does get subbed in and out with rotations. Just confused, as I and my daughter are new to the game that she loves so much!

Thanks, Joy

Good evening.  Welcome to! It's great to hear from you. I can tell you very little b/c I don't have much info. You've probably only told me 15% of what I need to know.  I think I can tell you that your daughter's coach believes that her skill as a setter is what helps the team the most; thus, she plays there.  For example, there are a lot of quarterbacks who are the biggest & fastest boys on the team. "Shouldn't they be playing tight end? running back?"  No, they need to play what Coach needs them to play so that the team benefits the most.  So, sure, she may be one of the best hitters, diggers and servers on the team; but, coach needs her set. Now...why he starts her in the 5....hmmm, interesting question.  I don't think I've ever started my setter there.   Questions for you please:  When does Coach sub for her?   front row? how tall is she? What type of player goes in for her? Is there another setter on the team?  is that other setter very good?  What grade is your daughter in? and how much club vball has she played? What grade are the other setter(s) in?  and how much club vball have they played? Thank you again for your correspondence tonight.  I hope to hear from you soon!   I hope you have a moment to visit  I think you'll really like the smiling faces.   p.s.  Sorry for the poor appearance of this answer....the return key on this laptop isn't working, so I'm just making the best of it.   Another p.s. You're free to send me some video of her and her team.  If the video is long enough, that will give my 90% of the info I need to answer your question.  

Tom Houser

I can answer any type of volleyball question: middle school, high school, college, club, coaching, playing, etc. (I am not, however, a athletic trainer! If you have a knee, ankle, back, etc. question, I'm sorry, but please search for another expert.)

I will almost always answer your question within 24 hours.

You may also email me anytime at! I'd enjoy hearing from you!

TEENAGERS: Please check your email tomorrow. I will probably have answered your question by then. :)

In the past 10 years, vball has taken my to San Francisco, Miami, Alaska, Pennsylvania, both Carolinas, and Salt Lake City. We can't wait to come visit you!

Then, one last favor: please grade my answer!

32 years coaching varsity, JV, club.

You can see all about me at There are also free downloads for coaches & parents, and lots of smiling faces for you volleyball players!

BS degree from Va Tech in Math Education. MS degree from Va Tech in Secondary Administration. In the fall, I'll be starting my 31st year teaching high school math!

The Picture!
The picture that you see is the 2015 15's team that I'm fortunate to be a part of. We will participate in 10 tournaments: Monument (Richmond) in January, Capitol Hill (Wash DC) in February, Shamrock (Roanoke, Va) in March and both BigSouth (Atlanta) and Northeast Qualifiers (Philadelphia) in April. My teams have qualified for Junior Nationals in '06, '09 and '12. We can't wait for this season to begin!

You can see this by visiting me at , then touch the "Coach Houser" link in the top right-hand corner.