Volleyball/Volleyball Blocking Rules

Hello Tom,

I want to say in advance, you're giving out great advice and I've really appreciate all your help.

I have a 13-1/2 year old daughter that is  6'2-1/2" and playing her 2nd year of AAU Volleyball at Norther Lights here in Minnesota.  We got into a discussion about blocking and what constitutes an illegal block.  Specifically, what she's allowed to do when the other team is attacking or attempting to send the ball over the net.

For her age, my daughter jumps fairly well (her block jump is 9'0"), but recently a lot of her blocks have been landing on her side of the net.  I suggested she be more aggressive reaching over the net like she did last year, but she thinks she's only allowed block up, i.e. her hand must be pointing towards the sky vs more parallel towards the floor.

I know the proper technique is for her to keep her hands more upwards (to maximize height, but I just wanted to clear up a point.  If she's able to without touching the net, could she be more aggressive; reaching over the next to block the attack?

FYI - I'm not talking about interfering with a pass or set being attempted by the other team.

Hello Sam!
It's great to hear from you, and I want to answer your question thoroughly.
However, at present I'm 40 minutes from leaving my house in Roanoke, Va, picking up my assistant coach and making the 4 hour drive to Sevierville, TN for the K-2 Elite Tournament this weekend.   :)   So, I'm in a rush!  (Plus it's sleeting heavily here now.....oh wow.  I hope the team can arrive safely and on time).
So, here's the quick may be enough!   :)  

The key phrase in a blocker legally reaching over the net is "not interfering".  
* So, she can't reach over to touch a ball that is ready to be set.  
* She can't reach over and touch a ball that has been set toward a teammate.
* She can't reach over and touch a 3rd hit that the opponent has had a chance to touch.   
If she did any of the 3 things above, she would be interfering, the ref would blow the whistle and award the point to her opponents.  Reasons:  a) the ball is still completely on the opponent's side of the net, and (b) the opponents can still play it.  

However, she is FREE to reach over as long as *** she's not interfering ***!!
Two examples:   
1) The setter is taking the 2nd ball over, foregoing the 3rd hit.  Your daughter can reach over and block it AFTER the setter has directed it toward your daughter's side.  Why?  B/c your daughter's not interfering!   :)  
2) An opposing hitter has touched the 3rd hit in her attempt to hit/tip/roll the ball to your daughter's side.  Your daughter can reach over in this situation also.......again, b/c she isn't interfering.   :)   :)   

OK, that's the short & sweet of it.  
If that doesn't completely answer your question, please follow up.
You can also contact me anytime at

Eleven STAR site volleyball camps have already been scheduled for 2015 in Va, SC and California.  We're expecting to direct at least 15.  Please visit us at  You'll like the price, you'll love the staff and our coaching philosophy, and your jaw will drop when you see our coach:camper ratio. These are the best camp values in the USA! Volleyball coaching, clinics, lessons and camps is what we do 24/7/365.  We can't wait!  

I hope you guys have a great day and a super weekend!
Coach Houser  

Tom Houser

I can answer any type of volleyball question: middle school, high school, college, club, coaching, playing, etc. (I am not, however, a athletic trainer! If you have a knee, ankle, back, etc. question, I'm sorry, but please search for another expert.)

I will almost always answer your question within 24 hours.

You may also email me anytime at! I'd enjoy hearing from you!

TEENAGERS: Please check your email tomorrow. I will probably have answered your question by then. :)

In the past 10 years, vball has taken my to San Francisco, Miami, Alaska, Pennsylvania, both Carolinas, and Salt Lake City. We can't wait to come visit you!

Then, one last favor: please grade my answer!

32 years coaching varsity, JV, club.

You can see all about me at There are also free downloads for coaches & parents, and lots of smiling faces for you volleyball players!

BS degree from Va Tech in Math Education. MS degree from Va Tech in Secondary Administration. In the fall, I'll be starting my 31st year teaching high school math!

The Picture!
The picture that you see is the 2015 15's team that I'm fortunate to be a part of. We will participate in 10 tournaments: Monument (Richmond) in January, Capitol Hill (Wash DC) in February, Shamrock (Roanoke, Va) in March and both BigSouth (Atlanta) and Northeast Qualifiers (Philadelphia) in April. My teams have qualified for Junior Nationals in '06, '09 and '12. We can't wait for this season to begin!

You can see this by visiting me at , then touch the "Coach Houser" link in the top right-hand corner.