Volleyball/Approach and Block jump

Question
Hello,

my name is domenec and I am 16 years old male. I am 6ft tall and I would like to play professional volleyball but my approach touch is only 10ft 8inches and my block jump is at 10ft. I am really concerned because I know it is not enough please what can i do???? Am I a lost case??

Answer
Well Domenec - This is a question that I have answered below with the same situation as you. I have changed a few things to make it specific to you. Your block height is right there but your approach touch should be  at least 11' or more. You have little to worry about as long as you are a great hitter. You might have trouble with blocking close to 10' 10" which this is the average block for an outside hitter who is 6' or taller. Being an outside hitter also means you have to block on the weak side in which the average hitter has more trouble hitting. Plus you will get help from the middle blocker leaving you to block mostly in a straight up position leaving the hitter to hit down the line.

I would be somewhat more worried if you were switched to hit on the right outside hitter because then you will be blocking very high sets. Look at Youtube videos on tall hitters and you will see that they don't hit straight down and over the blockers but they use the blockers to their advantage. Because you are a little more shorter than normal outside hitters hitting on the left side, you might have to rely on other special skills besides being super consistent in making a kill every you spike the ball.
Since you are barely 16 years old, you do have a little more to grow. Also you have a lot of time before you go to college and spread your wings more. I have added at the very end some crucial information you will be interested when looking to play volleyball in college.

Here are some suggestions you might want to look at and think about that may help you improve your game.

1. Learn how to use your opponent's block.
2. The possible options on what can you do when there is a bad set.
3. How to think smart when playing as an outside hitter.
4. How to read blockers before your team serves to id two hitters as opposed to three hitters  
 and letting your Libero know this information.
5. If you have two hitters in the front row then learn how to read the setter as a "hot"
 player.
6. Reading "X" plays plus "X" plays switching into slides. Communicate with your blockers when  
 your opponent's hitters are switching.
7. Improving your block approach techniques by marking a wall at 8' and reaching a block height
 of 9'5" or higher. You might have to jump straight up and leave less penetration into your  
 opponent's court and possible look more into a soft block.
8. Improving your blocking chances by looking at the ball as you are blocking it. This will
 help you id dinks, a punch, or back yard drop.
9. Identifying which hitters like their sets higher, closer to the net, away from the net, are
 they looking at the ball while they are spiking the ball or are they looking at the player
 while they are spiking the ball and placing the spike, and do they hit the ball at it's
 highest point.
10. Studying your opponent's hitters before the game.
11. You yourself are you hitting the ball at it's highest point.
12. Consistency in technique is very important so keep improving it.
13. Practicing hitting the ball from anywhere behind the 10' line.
14. "A coach who learns by himself will make him a great coach but a coach who learns from
  everybody will make him an excellent coach" coach Tovar. This is also true for players. If
  you see a great outside player in your own team then try to learn something from them.

If you are thinking of one day going to any DI,DII, or DIII Volleyball College then I would start recording your best offense and defensive skills. Plus keep records of you winning anything, being a starter etc. This will help you get into a Men’s Volleyball Scholarship School even with your height if you don't grow anymore.

Here is some information about these schools.

Men’s Volleyball Scholarship Recruiting Guidelines
Division I

2+ Years of Varsity Starting Experience
Heavy National Club Experience
National Tourney Attendance, National Qualifiers
All-State/Region/Area/Conference/District/Country/League Awards before Senior Year
High Performance Experience
USA Jr. National Team Experience
Average Stats and Characteristics
Libero/Defensive Specialist
5’8″-6’2″; 24″+ Vertical
Middle Hitter
6’5″-7’0″; Approach Touch 11’6″+
Outside Hitter/Right Side
6’4″-6’10″; Approach Touch 11’0″+
Setter
6’1″-6’5″; Approach Touch 10’8″+

Division II

2 Year Varsity Starter
Heavy National Club Experience
All-State/Region/Area/Conference/District/Country/League Awards
Average Stats and Characteristics
Libero/DS
5’8″-6’2″; 24″+ Vertical
Middle Hitter
6’5″-7’0″; Approach Touch 11’0″+
Outside Hitter/Right Side
6’3″-6’6″; Approach Touch 10’10″+
Setter
6’1″-6’5″; Approach Touch 10’6″+

Division III

Started Varsity
Heavy Club Participation
Average Stats and Characteristics
Libero/DS
5’8″-6’2″; 24″+ Vertical
Middle Hitter
6’3″-6’7″; Approach Touch 11’0″+
Outside Hitter/Right Side
6’0″-6’4″; Approach Touch 10’10″+
Setter
6’0″-6’5″; Approach Touch 10’6″+

Men’s Volleyball Numbers
Total Number of Varsity Programs
Division I 23
Division II 13
Division III 53
NAIA 0
Total Number of Scholarships per Program
Division I 4.5
Division II 4.5
Division III 0
NAIA 0
Total Number of Male Varsity Volleyball Athletes
Division I 441
Division II 204
Division III 674

Coach Tovar

I hope this answers your question.

For the time is takes me to write all this information and possibly do research to give you the most updated information all I ask in return are two things.

1. Please take the time to rate me. Any feedback you can provide for me will be great.
2. Visit my website at www.volleyballplaystorun.com and become a free member plus:

You can also learn the latest volleyball play systems, and newest volleyball serves plus much more.
See – Volleyball Offensive Systems – over 25
See - Over 31 different serves  
See - The Volleyball Gods
Get – FREE 28 play non system playbook just for being a free member
Get – FREE over 200 Volleyball T-Shirt Designs from the mind of ALIENTECH
See - Alien Attitude Balls
See - Over 200 Volleyball “Ball” designs

Please visit me at www.volleyballplaystorun.com

Thank you for visiting www.AllExperts.com

Coach Tovar

Volleyball

Juan A. Tovar