Volleyball/Volleyball players showing affection!

Question
Hi, Tom!

I been a fan of volleyball for a long time.  Although I've never played, I know the sport well because my room-mate plays college volleyball.

There's something I've always wondered as I watched countless games.  Why do volleyball players pat each other on the butt?  I see them doing it during huddles, after scoring points, etc.  They even do it to the coach!  (laughs)

Is it done for a joke, a sign of affection, or what?

-Stephanie

Answer
Good evening Stephanie and welcome to allexperts.com!
What you are witnessing is a combination of affection, silliness,enthusiasm, and camaraderie. When I started coaching about 30 years ago, boys did that but girls never did. Never saw it. Now, like other new actions that become traditions in sports, it has become common and I don't even notice it much anymore.  Like black athletic socks, or boys hanging on the rim after they dunk a basketball. I don't notice it.
The butt tap now to me is just like boys in football or baseball.  Normal.

Now, on the other hand, you mentioned smacking the coaches butt! That is done for all the same reasons.  😃   But you won't see that very often, because athletes are very very careful how they touch their coach. I'm male and 58 years old, and I've never had a female player do that to me and I started coaching when I was 26. I don't ever expect it to happen!  I don't quite know how I would react if it did.

Can I do anything else for you? If so, please follow up here or email me at coachhouser@yahoo.com.
And would you do one thing for me please? Would you visit us at www.coachhouser.com? I think you'll really like the smiling faces!
I hope it's been a wonderful week, and you have a really fun weekend!

Volleyball

Tom Houser