Volleyball/Can a boy who must play USAV u14 still play girls USAV?

Hi!  I cannot find the answer and USA volleyball rules are vague.    If you are in 9th grade and still 14 can you play U14 club ball?  I know you can play U14 at 15 IF you are in 8th grade.  But does it go the other way, i.e.  a 14 year old 9th grader.

Good evening!
Welcome to!

I live in Virginia, and here is what the Old Dominion Region rule.  I think this will be the USAV rule also:  

"Boys who want to play on a girl's USAV team must play at least 1 year up until they become a 14's.  When a boy is forced to play 14's (i.e., no longer qualifies for 13's or younger), then he can no longer play on a girl's USAV team at all."
The grade in school doesn't matter. Only the b'day matters.  
In other words, if you son was on or after September 1, 2003, then he no longer qualifies to play girl's least in the ODR.  

You may also contact John Kessell, at USAVolleyball.  He's a person that you can trust just like he was Santa Claus.   :)  And you can tell him that Tom Houser said so.  haha   His email address is

Thank you again for contacting me today.  Now would you do a favor for me?  Plz visit my staff and me at   My staff and I start camp #2 for the summer tomorrow......this time in Maryland!  We can't wait!!

If we can ever help you with anything, plz contact me at

Tom Houser

I can answer any type of volleyball question: middle school, high school, college, club, coaching, playing, etc. (I am not, however, a athletic trainer! If you have a knee, ankle, back, etc. question, I'm sorry, but please search for another expert.)

I will almost always answer your question within 24 hours.

You may also email me anytime at! I'd enjoy hearing from you!

TEENAGERS: Please check your email tomorrow. I will probably have answered your question by then. :)

In the past 10 years, vball has taken my to San Francisco, Miami, Alaska, Pennsylvania, both Carolinas, and Salt Lake City. We can't wait to come visit you!

Then, one last favor: please grade my answer!

32 years coaching varsity, JV, club.

You can see all about me at There are also free downloads for coaches & parents, and lots of smiling faces for you volleyball players!

BS degree from Va Tech in Math Education. MS degree from Va Tech in Secondary Administration. In the fall, I'll be starting my 31st year teaching high school math!

The Picture!
The picture that you see is the 2015 15's team that I'm fortunate to be a part of. We will participate in 10 tournaments: Monument (Richmond) in January, Capitol Hill (Wash DC) in February, Shamrock (Roanoke, Va) in March and both BigSouth (Atlanta) and Northeast Qualifiers (Philadelphia) in April. My teams have qualified for Junior Nationals in '06, '09 and '12. We can't wait for this season to begin!

You can see this by visiting me at , then touch the "Coach Houser" link in the top right-hand corner.